4638 placement...

CharlieTuna

Being quite satisfied with my JBL 4638 sub/woofer. I'm considering ordering another one to be placed behind my couch. I would lay it on it's side and either have it face the rear wall or couch. Which position would be better and how much "breathing room" (room between speakers and wall/couch) do I need to give it?

One other alternative would be to place it in the front, against the the front wall in the middle of a large room whose left side is being used for my A/V system.

Thanks in advance.

CT

------------------

=====================================

You can tune a radio, but you can't tuna fish!

=====================================

This message has been edited by CharlieTuna on 03-28-2002 at 08:44 AM

OK, charlietuna, I'll do the best that I can here, without knowing much about the room overall - this is just general info.

I read this on one of the forums (can't remember which one), but the question dealt with placing two subs, and it involved one of the SVS folks who gave a poster some advice. The basic theme was as follows (and I am recalling this from memory, here).

1. The best placement method was to put both subs in the same place (IIRC in a corner) - the SVS experiment gained 6db additional output vs. one sub by doing this. This is tough with two of the JBL's, due to the size of the cabinets. Maybe back-to-back or side-by-side is an option.

2. The second most preferable placement method is to have the units in two front corners (in my case, I am going to try placing them in the front corners, behind my Cornwalls) - 3 db additional output was realized by doing this with two SVS units, vs. one unit.

3. The least preferable was having the units in opposite corners or sides.

Normally, when installing a sub, experimentation is necessary to find out how that unit sounds in the room. Placing it in different locations alters the response. You put the sub where it sounds the best. Add another variable (a second sub), and the issue becomes more cloudy. There are many more possible placement combinations with two units - so finding the "sweet spot" for the two subs becomes that much more difficult. If the two JBL's are kept together, you can treat it as one unit, and experiment from there. If your room doesn't have space for this, I would think that front corners would be something to try (if the room can accomodate this).

Sorry that I cannot be more specific. I have similar thoughts about placement issues with the two cabinets (I have a feeling that my SPL meter and BFD will see lots of action in the next month or so). I'll be sure to report my findings when my JBL's get here.

I hope that this helps some, and I'll keep looking for the post.

------------------

First we Rock, then we Roll!

A Beast is Lurking.........To be unleashed May 2002

This message has been edited by dndphishin on 03-28-2002 at 03:54 PM

I agree with the above post. Just try different things until you get a good result. Sound is WAY more important that SLP, so use your ears.

Good luck and enjoy. Use those things responcibly!

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!