Building a home theater

gopijai

Hello everyone,

I am in the process of setting up my HT and was looking for some suggestions. My media room is 17X18 with an 8 foot ceiling. It is pre-wired for 7.1 surround sound. I was looking at getting:

1. 2 RF-83 front towers

2. 4 RS-62 surrounds

3. 1 RC-64 center channel

4. Sunfire HRS-12 1000 W Subwoofer

5. Powering this with either an Emotiva UPA-7 & UMC-1 combo or a Pioneer Elite SC-37 (still deciding between them)

My questions:

1. Is this system an overkill? Should I go to the RF-82 or RF-62 for the front towers for this size of a room?

2. One dealer is trying to steer me towards the Dali IKON MK2 front towers with the VOKAL 2 for the center channel. The other dealer is trying to steer me towards the B&W 603s. Their argument essentially is that these speakers are much superior to the RF-83 and more high performance. They also indicate that with the Klipsch, I would have hearing fatigue. Is this true? Has anyone experienced this with their RF-83s?

3. One even suggests Jamo C809 as an alternative to the RF-83s. Any experiences with the Jamo C809?

I appreciate your replies. Thanks in advance!

RF-83s are excellent speakers and will hold their own against many other great speakers. In general dealers steer people towards products that make them the most money. From personal experience i can tell you that Klipsch goes very well with Pioneer Elite receivers, but Emotivas are also decent units with a big following among many Klipsch owners. RC-64 is the center to have if you have the space - make sure it will fit in your cabinet/space as it is a very large center speaker.

While i would recommend buying RF-83s, i would also suggest you look at a pair of RF-7s - they have 2 woofers of bigger size and sound amazing.

Oh, and Jamo is made by Klipsch - it is one of the "other" brands that they own.

• Moderators

Welcome to the forums. The system you are considering is a very nice setup. Mine is similar. My room is 13' x 19' with 10' ceilings.

1. Is this system an overkill? Should I go to the RF-82 or RF-62 for the front towers for this size of a room?

I do not feel that the RF-83 system is overkill by any means. Stick with the RF-83. I think with the RF-62, you would get upgraditis pretty quickly. The RF-82 is a nice system but with the RF-83, you will never look back.

They also indicate that with the Klipsch, I would have hearing fatigue. Is this true? Has anyone experienced this with their RF-83s?

Ear fatigue? I never get tired of listening to my Klipsch. [:P] With some of the older model Klipsch (ex. RF-7's), some found them to be a tad on the bright side. DeanG's crossovers can be added to help tame them back. The RF-83's have a more refined sound.

I have always loved the B&W speakers but I do not necessarily think they are "better" than Klipsch. They have their own unique sound. If I remember correctly, they are much less efficient than Klipsch meaning they will require a more powerful amp to drive them sufficiently.

Thank you for the reply Youthman! I noticed in your pictures that you went for the cherry finish. Any particular reason why you picked this color v/s dark ash? Your HT looks awesome!

Youthman has actually got his HT build thread in this great place where he shared his experience with us all, right from the planning stage to finish product and it is a great read and very inspiring, he has done an amazing job with it.

As for his Cherry finish speakers, of course I can not answer that, but personally I prefer the cherry finish over black for my mains but this is just my personal preference, but in saying that I have my centre as Black and that looks awesome as well.

Although I have never heard the RC64 and RF83's I have read so many great things about them.

• Moderators

Youthman has actually got his HT build thread in this great place where he shared his experience with us all, right from the planning stage to finish product and it is a great read and very inspiring, he has done an amazing job with it.

Thanks DU. Yes, my complete build thread is in my signature with lots and lots of pics of the process. It was a great experience building the theater room as well as documenting my steps, decisions, and questions along the way.

• Moderators

Any particular reason why you picked this color v/s dark ash? Your HT looks awesome!

Thank you for the kind words. I just personally like dark wood vs black ash. The wood grain on finish on the RF-83 and RC-64 is just beautiful. It's elegant and classy. Funny thing is that you never see them since they are all behind my false wall. [:P]