Question from new italian member

omero

Hi i am a new italian member from Rome i have Klipsch Heresy modified with external horns and external crossover...........i have here a pair of vintage electro voice t35 16 ohm.....i want install it, can you help me to modify crossover for it?

Thanks and excuse me for my bad english......

Omero

Omero,

Welcome Italian brother, welcome. Your English is much better than my Italian and most of the members Italian. There are many skilled and technically inclined members on the forum who should offer good advice. The Heresy's are great aren't they?

Bill

Guest David H

Omero, interesting setup. using a 16ohm tweeer vs: the 8 ohm of comparable spl, all you would need to do is move the tweeter tap on the autoformer up a single position. I was not aware however the T35 was 16 ohms.

Another note, I see you have decoupled the horns from the cabs, you may want to apply dampening material to the horn because the mouth is not supported by the front baffle and will resonate. To demonsrate simply strike the mouth of the horn lightly, and listen to it ring out. There are plenty of dampening mod threads around for you to check out.

Welcome to the forums, Dave.

Hi Dave can you post link of these discussion?For the tweeter the modify is a simple soldering on the transformer?I do not change the capacitors?Can you tell me the exactly position on the transformer to install 16 ohm tweeter?

ciao Omero

Omero,

First point: You shouldn't hang the squawker horn up like that! Those horns depend on the front mounting flange to damp the ringing. You need to mount it! Try taping it with a metal object. It will ring like a bell!

As to the tweeter, I will bet the one you are using is better than the T35 or it IS a T35. If it says K77M or K79 keep using it! You can use a transformer if you want to try it. Set it to 3 dB (1.4:1 turns ratio) step UP. I suspect it will be the same as what you already have.

Al K.

Guest David H

Hi Dave can you post link of these discussion?For the tweeter the modify is a simple soldering on the transformer?I do not change the capacitors?Can you tell me the exactly position on the transformer to install 16 ohm tweeter? ciao Omero

Here is an example of dampening a midhorn using Dynamat other have used rope caulk. This is not a great example because the wood horns don't need dampening, but it will give you an idea of how to do it. http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/137280.aspx

Another good idea is to build a top box to house you midrange and tweeter and flush mount both horn to the front baffle, then use super balls to isolate the vibration from the lf section, or suspend the hf section like you already have done.

Omero, if you are currently using tap 3 on the autoformer for an 8 ohm tweeter, simply move the wire to tap 4 for use with a 16 ohm tweeter. No capacitor changes are needed at this time.

Not knowing what tweeter you currently have, I would heed ALK's warning about changing the tweeter. The T35 sure looks nice but the one you are using may be the better choice.

Dave

"No capacitor changes are needed at this time."

If the tweeter is actually 16R, the cap needs to be changed as well as moving the tap.

On a mid the cap does not need to be changed, but on a tweeter it needs to be changed.

Guest David H

On a mid the cap does not need to be changed, but on a tweeter it needs to be changed.

DJK is absolutely correct, I had my mind on the midrange. If your current capacitor on the tweeter is 2uf for an 8 ohm, try a 1uf for the 16ohm driver.

Dave

Omero,

It kooks like a stock type "E". One thing I'm 99% sure of, the tweeter you are using (K77 - round magnet) is identical to the T-35 you proposed to use. Stick with the tweeter you have and start working on the midrange. Replace that horn with something better or at least mount it in a baffle. A similar horn (the K400) in the Klipschorn actually DEPENDS on the flange to get the low extension of the midrange as well as damping. I am not sure if that is true of the Heresy, but you should put it on a flange just to get the necessary damping.

Al K.