looking for help on restoring Heresy

bigkahuna

I just bought a pair of Heresy speakers from 1973. The second owner had the speakers for some 26 years and at some point he painted them black. According to the tag on the back of the speaker they have a oiled walnut finish. There is a spot on the top of one speaker where the black paint has come off and the wood below looks good. All I really want is to get the black paint off and bring back some luster to the wood. Any suggestions on type of product that will hep remove the black spray paint without damaging the oiled finish? Thanks in advance for your input.

this is probably not what you want to hear, but

its not worth the time or the effort to do the sanding refinish thing

its easier to just re-veneer them

or even easier just to build new cabs

if the paint is oil based, the level of effort will be monumental

Welcome to the forum!

I think Fritz is right..... can be extremely difficult.

If you have paint flaking off, and the other owner used spray paint, it might be worth it to try acetone (nail polish remover) on a spot.

You will have the hardest time getting the paint out of the grain.......

Good Luck.

I suspect that you could get away with using stripper on the black paint, or at least acetone. Oil finishes polymerize over time and are just about impossible to get out of the wood chemically. I would almost bet that the paint would come off before you do any damage to the oil finish. You might want to try on an inconspicuous spot, like the bottom.

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried some of the wifes nail polish removed on a rag and rubbed the rear edge. With a little elbow grease

the black paint came off. The wood uncovered looked fine. Will try to post some before and after pics of the resto.

Best case: They're perfect underneath, and the dude just wanted black speakers..... Worst case: They were painted for a reason - lots of scratches and whatnot underneath...... Looking forward to seeing your pics and finding out which. Good luck!