rf82 crossover setting

jrgreene1968

80hz is probably a good crossover setting for what you have, of course this also greatly depends on the sub you are using and you did not mention what sub you have. You should try 80hz for a while then try seeing what a lower setting sounds like to you and decide for yourself which you like best.

I have RF-5's with an RC-7 and an RT-10d sub, I have my crossover set at 60hz.

While your speakers are capable of going lower the point is to let the sub and the subs amp handle the lower hz and free up your receiver (or amp) to use it's power where your front speakers perform their best.

Try out the different settings and see what you prefer peoples taste vary so there is no one perfect setting. But 80hz with your speakers set to "small" would be my recommended starting point. BTW a lot of people get confused by the speaker "large/small" setting, it really isn't how large your speakers are and would be better labeled LFE ON (small) when using a sub and LFE OFF (large) when not using a sub.

Right now i have my mains @ 60hz and my center @ 80 hz. Just seemed to me a speaker with dual 8" would be going to waste only playing to 80hzSmile

I will have to agree. After much trial and error, I have decided that 60hz(RF-63) and 70hz(RC-64) sounded best to me. I would suggest that if you are only using a HT receiver's internal amps to power your speakers, 80hz is probably a better choice. With external amplification, you have much more reserves to work with without taxing the amps like in an AVR.

Bill

im using a emotiva amp, 200wpc to drive the mains and center, so power is tap

I guess I could have read your system profile first. Your Onkyo TX-SR805 has a pretty potent amp section and power supply all on it's own. Nice setup.

Bill