Cornwall Crossover and CT125s

After deciding to not sell my Cornwalls earlier this month (best decision I've made in a while), I bit the bullet and ordered new Type B crossovers and CT125 tweeters from Bob Crites this morning. My Cornwalls are from 1980 and I figured replacing the crossovers should be a nice improvement from the originals. I'm less certain about what to expect with the CT125s. I know there are many posts stating how much better they sound than the K-55M. However, I've read some posts where improvement wasn't noted. I concluded they were worth a try. As many people have noted previously - Bob Crites is absolutely top notch in helping people, such as myself, feel comfortable with ordering parts from him. This is in addition to his excellent customer service. Now that I've ordered - can't wait until next week when they should arrive!!!

The CT125 tweeter is less sensitive than the stock K77M. You might notice the sound is not quite as crisp. The new caps in the crossover might compensate for that though. If you have the round magnet K77 it will be about the same sensitivity, give or take a bit. The CT125 goes clear to 20Khz compared to the K77 which poops out about 17Khz or so. Most of us can't hear that high anyhow though. The CT125 will take a lot more abuse than the K77. You are not as likely to blow it out. If you really want to improve the sound though, upgrade the squawker (mid-range) horn. The HORN that is, NOT the K55 driver! That 's the true bottleneck!

Al K.

Thanks for the observations Al. I know from reading through other posts, you are very knowledgeable of the possible upgrades to Cornwalls. You mention upgrading the squawker horn - where is an upgraded horn available from? Thanks, Denny

I thought I would post an update on new Crossovers and CT125s. I installed the crossovers a few moments ago and just now powered them up. Too early to give listening impressions. I didn't install the CT125s yet, as I wanted to determine the effect of new crossovers only. I'll post my impressions in about a week. I also have attached a photo of one of the new installed crossovers. I wasn't sure how difficult installation would be. Turned out to be very straightforward.

post-35568-1381960094545_thumb.jpg

post-35568-13819619496728_thumb.jpg

Congratulations Denny! It took a little while before I noticed the difference with my1979 La Scalas and Bob's Crossovers, but when I did....WOW!

Keep us posted and I am also interested in the difference with the CT125's, as I too am thinking about getting some.

Thanks for the update and the picture,

Dennie

I'll keep you posted over the course of the next week on crossover observations. After just a couple of hours, I can already say the new crossovers have definately "opened up" the highs in my Cornwalls. Where as before, I thought they sounded a little laid back (one of reasons I couldn't understand people saying horns were "harsh") - now they sound much brighter and more forward. Quite pleased with the difference. One of the concerns I had about the CT125s were comments on them being less "crisp" than originals. As I felt my Cornwalls were already "laid back", having the CT125s sound less crisp raised a question in my mind. With the new crossovers, I may like a little less brightness. At this time, I'm not certain if that will be the case or not.

Congratulations Denny! It took a little while before I noticed the difference with my1979 La Scalas and Bob's Crossovers, but when I did....WOW!

Keep us posted and I am also interested in the difference with the CT125's, as I too am thinking about getting some.

Dennie

As I'm sure you've read plenty about Bob's tweeter Dennie, it's a great performer and as Al stated it's mellower than the k77m.

It sounds a little more focused and coherent than the stock k77 and at lower listening levels the CT 125 seems to get smeared or lost in the mid range.

At higher SPLs the CT125 shows up to play but still lacks that sizzle live cymbals have.

I've had them in for a couple of weeks now and have torn some trim off my La Scala's that were blocking the 1/3rd of the tweeter so now I'm hearing the tweeters better. I need to put the k77m back in to hear them without the trim in the way.

I have stock AL-3s in my La Scalas so the old caps in combo with the CT 125 may not be fair judgement. Also if I recall the CT 125 should be ran with Bob 4500 XO which I'd like to give a try in the future, however, in the meantime I'm on the hunt for something to drive the La Scalas with so I don't have to keep switching speaker wire every couple of days.

I can't choose which speaker to leave hooked up, the La Scalas or the RF 7s, I enjoy them both a great deal.

After listening to the Cornwalls with new crossovers and stock K77 for several days - I replaced the K77s with the new CT125s. For me, with my system, and my listening room - I'm very happy with the CT125s. As noted by others, the CT125s sound less bright and smoother than the K77s. The combination of new crossovers with the CT125s has resulted in a much more balanced sound, with improved imaging as compared with the original crossovers and K77s. Overall, I'm very satisfied with the improved performance. I've recently purchased a Denon DP-60L turntable which I plan to use with my Cornwalls. I have a Forte Model 3 amp and a Coda 04r preamp which will power the Cornwalls. I just need to buy a phono preamp, and I'll find out how my improved Cornwalls will perform with vinyl.

After listening to the Cornwalls with new crossovers and stock K77 for several days - I replaced the K77s with the new CT125s. For me, with my system, and my listening room - I'm very happy with the CT125s. As noted by others, the CT125s sound less bright and smoother than the K77s. The combination of new crossovers with the CT125s has resulted in a much more balanced sound, with improved imaging as compared with the original crossovers and K77s. Overall, I'm very satisfied with the improved performance. I've recently purchased a Denon DP-60L turntable which I plan to use with my Cornwalls. I have a Forte Model 3 amp and a Coda 04r preamp which will power the Cornwalls. I just need to buy a phono preamp, and I'll find out how my improved Cornwalls will perform with vinyl.

Fantastic! Thanks for the update. [Y]

I found with my new crossovers (Type AA-La Scalas) it took about a week for me to really notice the difference. At first I wasn't sure if there was a "noticeable" difference. But after a week or so, the music came to life. It now had BODY that it didn't seem to have before. I've described it as "someone took a blanket off of my speakers". That might be a little dramatic, maybe it was more like they took a sheet off of my speakers. I noticed a clarity and body to the music that I had never heard before. The Bass was now full and solid. WOW!!

Congratulations on the Denon DP-60L and keep us posted when you get it up and running.

Dennie

Dennie

As I'm sure you've read plenty about Bob's tweeter Dennie, it's a great performer and as Al stated it's mellower than the k77m.

It sounds a little more focused and coherent than the stock k77 and at lower listening levels the CT 125 seems to get smeared or lost in the mid range.

At higher SPLs the CT125 shows up to play but still lacks that sizzle live cymbals have.

I've had them in for a couple of weeks now and have torn some trim off my La Scala's that were blocking the 1/3rd of the tweeter so now I'm hearing the tweeters better. I need to put the k77m back in to hear them without the trim in the way.

I have stock AL-3s in my La Scalas so the old caps in combo with the CT 125 may not be fair judgement. Also if I recall the CT 125 should be ran with Bob 4500 XO which I'd like to give a try in the future, however, in the meantime I'm on the hunt for something to drive the La Scalas with so I don't have to keep switching speaker wire every couple of days.

I can't choose which speaker to leave hooked up, the La Scalas or the RF 7s, I enjoy them both a great deal.

Hey Rockon, Yeah, I've read opinions on Bob's tweeters. But it is always good to get another one. [;)]

Thanks for your review. I'm not sure if you like them? But...... you have to update the crossovers!!!! Really, I think it was the best $300 I've spent. I bought Bob's convertible AA/A and WOW. My mini review is above, but the bottom line is, you're not hearing those beautiful speaker!! IMHO!

Get a speaker switcher box from Radio Shack, for $20 or so, you can have the Best of worlds! [:P] I wish I had your delima, RF 7's or La Scalas, I've havin' trouble feeling sorry for you! LOL [^o)] [<:o)]

Dennie