Will RS-42/52 work well in my situation?

SuBXeRo

I unfortunately dont have the proper amount of room behind my couch due to the setup i have in my apt and well, the wall sapce i need ot hang stuff just isnt there. Basically, the best i have is to be able to put rear speakers in the surround speakers location and was wondering if the RS-42/52 would sound proper in the design that i'd like to use them in. Right now i just have a 3.0 going and im in no rush to have rears. I had two rb-10's as rears in a wierd configuration and they just looked/sounded off and wierd. Keep in mind my coch is butted up agaisnt one wall and the other wall on the other side os about 2 feet from the couch since i have a divider fireplace right there with shelves on them that could hold one of the surrounds.

Any suggestions?

• Moderators

To me, the RS are ideal if they can be placed on the sides of the listening area as opposed to behind. But, when that is not an option, if your couch is directly against the back wall and you need to mount speakers there, bookshelf speakers will not offer you much in the area of "surround" since most of the sound is flying over your head. For an appartment, I would go with the RS-42's. They have a thinner profile. If you can mount them about a foot over your head, I think it would work out for your situation.

I'm in your same boat and went with the RS52 but agree i could have gone with the 42. I also have the couch near the rear wall and only one side wall. I attempted to setup in a way to have two side walls but the wife was not having it (tv in front of window). So per the klipsch alternate instructions im pushing couch 1ft from wall and placing speakers 2 ft above and behind couch on back wall.

I was planning on adding these mounts but not sure if they add any value opposed to a screw/bolt, anyone have any suggestions?

sorry, let me clarify, my couch is freefloating more or less, the side of the couch is butted up against a wall. this picture more or less should give you the idea. http://www.leaseazcommercial.com/pictures/klipschkierland.jpg its butted up agaisnt the wall on the right, the fireplace is on the left with a tiered top aka shelves and my desk and computer chair are behind the couch agaisnt the wall that the couch is but the wall angles about 2 feet behind the couch. Ideally and easiest would be to have listing points to the left and right of the couch and not behind, but thats ideal for the situation.

Ideally and easiest would be to have listing points to the left and right of the couch and not behind, but thats ideal for the situation.

From what I gather you're saying that its going to be easier to have the speakers on the side walls rather than behind you? In a 5.1 setup your surround speakers are supposed to be on the side walls, not behind you. The RS series work extremely well when used in that manner.

• 3 weeks later...

I am moved into my new apt and i have my RS52s sitting on the floor on the side of my couch. Why the floor you ask, well I attempted to drill through 3 studs only to go through drywall each time. I have no idea what this complex was thinking or my studfinder but i'm done putting in holes especially since i dont have the apt paint.

SO now my RC62 is sitting behind peeking between tv and its stand. My RS are on floor and i'm now looking for some type of stand. My couch sits about 3ft with the arms. Even on the floor i can hear the speakers so i'm thinking i dont necessarily have to go 4-5ft. Ok, my question, does anyone know if its a bad idea placing speakers on glass stands like the Klingsbo from Ikea? Its not that tall but i will place it facing tv on sides of couch but a little behind. Any ideas?

I can roll with that, i never used one before so i youtubed it and a guy said dont use the plastic ones. My monoprice tv mount (that i cant use now) came with plastic anchors and if those are meant to hold a tv then i would suspect they can hold a speaker or am i wrong?

Also one video showed a lady using a drill for the anchor, if a drill is putting the anchor in then where does the screw go for the speaker, please excuse my less than handyman knowledge of hanging.

• Moderators

I'm there with ya on not being a handiman.

Not sure what kind of drywall screw the lady was using in the video. Typically, you use a drill to bore a hole in the drywall that is barely big enough to fit the drywall anchor. You tap that into the wall, tighten the screw into the anchor and as the screw enters the anchor, it pushes the back of the anchor apart so that it prevents the anchor from backing out. You don't have to tighten the screw all the way because you need to leave enough room for the speaker bracket to mount to.

hanging-13.jpg

The ones I use typically look like this. They function the same way. Check out Lowes. You can buy a pack for a few dollars. Just check the weight rating that they support and make sure they can support your speakers and you will be fine.

144137.jpg