Harman Kardon Overload ?

ynot51

I'm rockin' an rf-82 5.1 system with an HK AVR-354 (75w/ch). Sounds great but you have to crank vol. up to 70-80 for good movie effects, slightly less with CD or i pod dock. No clipping evident but this seems close to redline. Anyone have a similar set up ,situation or opinion ?

I'm a bit confused. These AVRs don't have a volume control that goes from 0 to 100, but rather one that goes from -90 dB to +15dB (or similar numbers), with 0 dB being maximum output if the input has full voltage or bits.

I have an HK AVR 254 and get full movie theater reference level at -13 dB on the volume dial, and this is way too loud for me.

You mention "movie effect". Do you mean Low Frequency Effects (LFE) from your subwoofer? If so, it appears it needs calibrating. It also typically has it's own volume control which you can control independently.

How does it do with only 2 channels driven? I have to turn my pioneer way up for movies, maybe 3/4 of the way up. I don't find it to be a problem and I still have more power if I need it, but I never really do.

Do you have a SPL (Sound Pressure Level) meter? I'm curious to see what the decibel level is that you listen to movies at.

Dennie

I use 2 channels for I-pod dock and rarely exceed 65. I do like my music loud and movies (especially action/music) even louder. I have never had a system that had to be turned up past mid-point for everyday use,but from the responses i've read this is not unusual and since the addition of a computer fan, receiver heat is no longer an issue. I guess I just needed to know what other listeners were doing.Thanks for the confirmation.

I still don't understand your volume level. This is from your manual (page 40):

Volume Control

The volume may be adjusted either by turning the knob on the front
panel (clockwise to increase volume or counterclockwise to decrease
volume), or by pressing the Volume Control on the remote. See Figure 56.
The volume is displayed as a negative number of decibels (dB) below
the 0dB reference point.

Unlike the volume controls on some other products, 0dB is the maximum
volume for the AVR 354. Although it’s physically possible to turn the
volume to a higher level, doing so may damage your hearing and your
speakers. For certain more dynamic audio materials, even 0dB may be
too high, allowing for damage to equipment. We urge caution with
regard to volume levels.

So, do you mean "65" or "-65 db" ?

So, do you mean "65" or "-65 db" ?

Does the HK receiver allow you to choose which way volume is displayed?

(I am betting it does).

I can choose absolute (0-99) or I can choose relative (-81 to +18) on my Onkyo.

Not on my AVR-254 anyway, and the 354 manual doesn't mention it as far as I can see.

You can on the 354. It's first alluded to on page 40 of the owner's manual and explained in detail on page 55, bottom paragraph of the left column.

Now I've got egg on my face! It was the next paragraph after what Pasted in!

If the poster c an switch to the dB scale, we can tell him how close his "65" volume level is to maximum output.

I did not know you could do that with the volume on the HK either. When I watched a movie I never went below -15 or -20 I don't think before I got the Emotiva amps. That HK will push your speakers loud enough to cause ear dmg.

Edit: If I read the manual right the volume goes from 0-100 so 80 is not really that close to max.

Edit: If I read the manual right the volume goes from 0-100 so 80 is not really that close to max.

My Onkyo is the same way, even at ~50 it is pretty quiet. (The first time; I was like WTF?)

But 80 is really thumping the walls....... Highest I have gone is like 91..... This was when no neighbors were present in the apartment below......

I am guessing it is about 2/3 maximum.... (0-99).

If you mean 2/3 of max power, then I doubt it. More likely to be 1/1000 of max power, which is why I'd like to see his reading for the same loudness on the dB volume scale.

I do not think you would get a completely accurate result; because he would be guessing about how loud the volume was when he switches over.

(Yes; you are correct; it is not 2/3 power, I misinterpreted your post as volume)

If the OP wishes to investigate this further, I am with Dennie; the SPL meter would provide needed additional info for a more accurate result.....

He sounds content knowing that 80 is not really pushing it........