DLP verses 3 guns?

Coytee

I'm not even sure if that's the best wording for the title.

Regardless.....what are the thoughts on something like this for home (or more specifically, outdoor) use?

Just for conversation purposes, let's forget about price or weight. I'm first trying to figure out if this style is considered better or worse than the traditional projector format with a single lens.

Also.... I have no love on this specific unit... it was just something I found to illustrate my question.

http://curtpalme.com/ElectrohomeMarquee.shtm

...I'm first trying to figure out if this style is considered better or worse than the traditional projector format with a single lens.

This actually is the "traditional" projector format. I've been out of the loop for a long time now (was never really in the loop as far as owning one, but kept up on the technologies, etc).

Anyway, at the time, this was considered the best type of projector (CRT), and I would imagine still is. The major drawback, even though you said to forget about it, is price. Even once you own one, the maintainence cost on one of these is enough to send the average person to the poorhouse.

I have a "Three Gun" (CRT) Rear projection TV and a DLP (infocus Screenplay 4805) Front Projector and love them both. The CRT is only 48", it is a fantastic/amazing picture and the DLP is 90" to 100" and really puts out a great/good picture. Both are indoor.

Did this help? I didn't think so. But it is my .02cents!

Dennie

The CRT's style is considered much OLDER and out of date, compared to the current (or as you call them "traditional") DLP/LCD projectors and have fallen by the wayside for the very reasons you are forgetting... price, weight, light output (or lack thereof), difficult to adjust/focus/work on, etc, etc, etc. I think even the cheapest current DLP/LCD projector would have almost twice the light ouput and would certainly be better for outdoor use.

I think you'd be taking a giant step back if you attempted to acquire and use a CRT for inside your home, much less trying to set one up outside.

Have you been over to Projector Central? If you are looking for something bright and powerful enough for outdoor HD use, then it's going to cost you. What exactly are you trying to setup?

What exactly are you trying to setup?

Not trying to be a smart-hiney but primarily, I'm trying to setup my education.

Some folks are retentive on a certain concept...other folks are retentive on a different concept.... one of my areas of being retentive is, prior to doing anything I try to get educated on the subject. Sometimes to my detriment in that I'll spin my wheels for a lot of effort when in the end it would have been easier to simply hit the 'easy button'. That's something I can't easily do. I've learned to accept that failing in myself long ago.

Given that we've been doing some movies outdoors I was merely wondering if these would be a more cost effective way of doing them rather than buying a $5,000 DLP for indoor use and take it outdoors from time to time (and risk damage). It also crossed my mind to perhaps buy one for indoor use instead of the newer type.

Kind of like buying a pair of "old throwback" Klipschorn for $3,000 for large sound instead of the newest fancy speaker for $15,000 a pair. Sometimes newer is better (which I do think tends to be the case in electronics) and sometimes newer isn't better. I'm trying to find out where these are in the spectrum of "horsepower verses dollars" compared to the newer versions.

I have limited expereince with the CRT type projectors, however, from recall as with similar projectors light must really be controlled, especially with the older CRT projectors, as a previous poster mentioned the light output in even a dim room gives a washed out pictures. When the room was almost black the image was much sharper.