Anyone going to the RMAF in Denver?

texas42

Looks like a great time from those who have went before so I'm finally going this year. Hopefully see some of the Klipsch types there in October. This is a true hobbiest show, not geared towards dealers like CES. Below is a link.

http://audiofest.net/2010/index.php

I was hoping to attend but something else came up. I have family there so it would have been an easy trip. Maybe next year.

These guys also have a massive photo collection from the last show:

http://spintricity.com/58/4284/oct-2009/got-music#/58/public/Vol1-10

I've attended for the last three years, and it's a great show -- lots of absurdly high-dollar systems, some of which are amazing, and some of which compare poorly to systems at 1/10th the price (IMHO). Also, plenty of (relatively) affordable systems. Unfortunately, I've never seen any Klipsch products there.

I try to visit about half of the rooms each year -- seeing the whole show is possible but requires all three days and can get rather tedious after a while.

Some general observations:

- The least crowded time seems to be the first ~2 hours after the show opens each day, although I've never stayed until closing so it might be less busy in the late afternoon.

- There is a trend towards computer-based digital playback and fully analog, LP-based systems. Most vendors are happy to play music you bring, and many are equipped to play high-resolution digital music off of USB thumb drives or CD / DVD data discs, in addition to standard audio CDs.

- Each show has had a nice array of horn-loaded speakers -- Acapella, Classic Audio Reproductions, JBL, Avantgarde, others I'm forgetting...

- The 2009 show had an entire ballroom for headphones and related equipment. I didn't get there, but I plan to this year.

- Many (most?) systems feature high-end cabling, and there are plenty of tweaky accessories -- always entertaining for us skeptics. (Carbon-fiber outlet covers, anyone?)

- Lots of products small and mid-sized companies -- plenty of things you've never seen or heard before.

- Many of the systems are absolutely amazing -- sonically and visually -- but in terms of performance for the money, in my opinion, my Khorn-based system is still the best value. Each day after attending the show, I have come home and listened to my reference songs on my own system, and it hasn't been a disappointment.

- Bill