Question for anyone who is using RF-83's & RC-64

FussGus

I haven't had experience with the RF-83 or RC-64, but I've read folks around here using a processor (many HT receivers will do) hooked up to power amps in the 125-200 watt range, like McIntosh, B&K, Emotiva, Aragon, Parasound to name a few. Take a look at member's signatures and stereo profiles. Click on people's names and check out wht they're using.

It looks like Klipsch has made a new line. The RF-7 II and the RC-64 II. Read about it here.

By next year the RF-83 and RC-64 may only be available second hand. This could be good or bad news for you. Hope it's good.

• Moderators

I originally had an Onkyo TX-SR703 (100 watts/ch) and it did a great job with a 3.1 system (I didn't have rears hooked up at that time). When we moved, I sold the Onkyo since it did not suit my taste for 2ch listening. I then purchased my current Yamaha RX-V1800 (140 watts/ch) and it had no problem handling 5 speakers. For a few weeks, I had a 7.1 system and you could tell it was a little taxed. When you add 7 speakers to a receiver, frankly, it just can't deliver. Even though my receiver is "Rated" at 140 x 7, that just isn't true (at least from what I've read from HT Magazine bench tests).

I bought my Yamaha over a year ago at a steal at $400. Don't be afraid to get a receiver that is a year or two old. It will save you a bundle. I can't see spending $1200 on a receiver that I can get for at least 1/2 that price 1 - 3 years later. Whatever receiver you get, just be sure it has preouts. That way down the road, if you feel that your receiver isn't driving them enough, you can easily add more power.

When I added my Parasound 220 watts x 5 amp, it absolutely has no problem pushing all 5 speakers. It's always clean, no distortion and when big explosions hit, hang on to your seat. [:D]

• 3 weeks later...

For those who currently have these speakers I am wondering what is the recomended receiver to use to adequetly power these speakers.

Sometime next year I will be purchasing these and want to be sure I am supplying enough power.

They're high sensitivity, so most amps will have no problem powering them.

Depending on your budget, I'd recommend an amp with multeq xt to correct any room issues. I have a denon 5308 hooked up to mine and I love it.