HF-20's on Ebay

NOSValves

Mdeneen

I did the Grounding you suggested with almost no improvement. Its a dust pan special and I'm not going to touch it till you do the benching on Klipped HF-81 and see if its worth the effort.

Craig

This message has been edited by NOS440 on 03-31-2002 at 12:51 PM

These use to be DIRT cheap and some of the favorites for people modding as you can turn them into anyhing... It's another Williamson circuit(one of the all time classics). The output transformers are very nice as stated elsewhere; indeed, these EICO amp outputs are rated 20hz-20khz and higher and are extremely linear. As stated, the vintage EICO iron is some of the best, from top to bottom. I am not a big measurements believer as I have seen poor measuring amps sound magical, but these vintage EICO pieces were very nice on the bench (HF-20,22,35,50,60,87/89 as well as the series around the 6BQ5/7591).

hf-20_mod.jpg

Here is a picture of a lad's HF-20 he changed to push-pull Sovtek 6B4G Directly Heated Triode amps. He obviously took some time on the chassis as well. Too bad he opted for the SS rectification although he used HEXFREDs. I still find that tube rectification is more harmonically open and smooth. OF course, a choke is needed to really do the job correctly.

The HF-20 output tubes can be reconfigured a variety of ways.

kh

ps- NOS, please sell your HF-81 to Bob for a reasonable price so someone can appreciate it. From what he tells me, he knows his way around a soldering iron as well.

Phono Linn LP-12 Vahalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 03-31-2002 at 01:48 PM

Seeing the beautiful job someone did on the HF-20 that mobile posted puts that amp in a whole other light. The ones on eBay look pretty clean and the price is not bad at the moment. I guess it is common knowledge to just eliminate that preamp section.

-chromed and domed

------------------

Cornwalls

currently upgrading

to all tube components