Jub's and Jolida amps

jmareci

I can't speak for everyone and don't want to sound that way. Given that, I have talked to most (if not all) the Jubilee owners over time and I am not aware of anyone even making a mention of having a Jolida. That said, I myself DID at one time have a Jolida however, I sold it early on (too much noise in the gain knob, I had a 502 if I recall.... integrated 60x2?)

I'd be willing to wager a Wattaburger that no one has heard a Jolida on a Jubilee.

I would expect it to work out just as nice/easily as any other tube amp (presume seperate power amps). In my book, there is nothing inherently special about the Jolida. I liked mine and FANTASTIC customer satisfiaction experience with them.

Given the tube amps I DID go through with either my Khorns or later on, Jubilee's... I personally am much more intrigued to hear a higher powered OTL amp.

I have owned and used:

1 pair of McIntosh MC-30's, 30 watt monoblocks
1 pair of George Wright 2A3's, 3 1/2 monoblocks
1 pair of Quad II's, 15 watt K66 monoblocks
1 stereo McIntosh MC-2102, 100x2
1 stereo Viva 300B SET, 8x2
1 stereo Jolida 502B, 60x2
1 pair Transcendent Sound SE-OTL's, bridged to 4 watts per monoblock

Of the above sample that I have owned and used in my system, I would be most interested in having an OTL again (with more than 4 watts). I would next be most interested in having a 300B ( with more watts) and after those two, I don't know that I long for any of them.

To be frank, I think they sounded much more alike than not and I know that some people will take issue with that. Part of my point however, is they ALL have something in common....(other than the OTL amp) and that is, they all have a transformer hanging off the back of them.

For the purists of sound guys....and those who say less is more.... I wonder why they don't find interest in the OTL designs where you hook your drivers right up to the tubes, bypassing all those miles (hahahaha) of wire inside the transformers.

I don't mean any disrespect to your question but I must add....of all the above amps, the one that I would want back in my hands last.... would be the Jolida that I had. Part of that is based on looks in that, I LOVE the looks of the McIntosh 2102. Best looking amp I've ever put my eyes on. The scratchiness of the volume on the Jolida didn't do a lot to put it into good favor with me either.

I'd better shut up now, lest other Jolida owners think I'm bashing their stuff. I'm not. I'm just reporting my experiences and thoughts.

For the purists of sound guys....and those who say less is more.... I wonder why they don't find interest in the OTL designs where you hook your drivers right up to the tubes, bypassing all those miles (hahahaha) of wire inside the transformers.

Richard like in all things there are compromises involved in all designs(Tube and Solid State) and just because an OTL design doesn't have an output transformer that does not guarantee superior sound and especially in the context of different systems that they might be used in. Just to couple the output signal from an OTL tube amplifier to the loudspeaker requires either a capacitor(in place of the transformer for DC isolation) or some form of acheiving DC balance in the design that is stable and reliable under all conditions of use or you might get to watch your speakers go up in smoke.

Also one other observation (and it pertains to Tube and Solid State designs) is that as output devices are paralleled (for higher power in otherwise equilivant designed circuits) some clarity and detail generally suffers and I believe this is why as long as the smaller power amplifier will do the job it has the potential for superior sound.

The reality is Richard there are many design factors that are interrelated and go into the design of amplifiers of any type(Single Ended, Push-Pull, OTL, Solid State and Tube types) that could have a small to large effect on the final sound of any amplifier especially when under often complex loudspeaker loads so just because someone has heard a Tube Amp, Solid State, Single Ended, OTL, etc.... doesn't mean they have experienced the broad range of possibilities of any of these designs. Keep an open mind and listen to as many variations as possible of good designs of each type IMHO.

mike tn

Has anyone tried any of the Jolida amps with Jubilee speakers? Just wondering how it worked out and which models of Jolida have been tried?

Thanks!

I've not heard Jolida amps with the Jubilee but I do use tube amps with mine and enjoy them very much.

What HF Horn/Driver are you using with the Jubs and are you using an active or passive crossover with them?

mike tn

I am using the K69 driver along with the EV active crossover.

Hey jmareci that's great.

Are you also running the 32Hz PEQ setting with the Jub?

I love having the control that the active approach gives me with my system. I don't know which program you are currently running but I have found the ability to slightly tweek the programs has helped me to reach the best sound in my personnel situation. Since individual driver's performance can vary slightly (even though within manufacturing tolerences) this ability to fine tune things with the active program has made me very aware of how even just a .5db to 1db variation over a certain frequency range can be heard and the powerfull effect it can have on Tonality and Imaging especially when in the 500Hz to 5khz range.

mike tn

I am using the 32Hz PEQ setting. I had a nice conversation with Richard yesterday. I played around with my settings last night. You are right, a small change can make a huge effect. Things improved, but are still lacking. I did move my Bottlehead 300B amps into my system. I put them on the horns, and that helped a lot! I am still not happy though. I think I am at the point that I still need to figure out a new preamp/amp for my system.

Hey jmareci

I've not personelly heard the Bottlehead 300B amps but I do know a few Jub owners are running 300B based amplifiers.

Not sure how much help I could be to you but If you have any questions now or later and think any of my experiences with the Jub might be of some help to you please feel free to contact me by e-mail through the forum.

mike tn