Finally a Klipsch owner!

elementfbl114

Hey, that sounds fun, I live around Kansas City [:)]

Ive been looking at ED subs and came across A7S - 450. 800ish. Looks like a pretty good deal, but does anyone have an oppinion for ported vs sealed for HT? An 18inch sealed should do some damage...

Hell yea, I love getting new toys! Can't wait to get the rest.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys for all your help. I'm thinking of getting the supercube 1 though... Ive looked around other 500 dollar subs, and really can't find anything that people said would be better (in the price range I could buy it for). My room is less than 2000 cubic feet also, and I've read that for a room the size of mine it would be overkill. But my overall plan is once I buy this sub, I'll work on the rest of my setup (rs-62s with rb-81/61s) and then when I buy my house next year, I'll pick a sub out that matches my dedicated home theater room and use the supercube with my old 7.1 in the living room.

The guy has the box, with everything else that came with it. He will also let me audition it, which surprisingly not very common with the people on CL around my area...

Anyways I'm hoping it will be pretty good for the price. Like I said ive looked for speakers listed around 500 and really didn't find anything that would beat it. Ive seen a people selling them for 750 + shipping on Audiogon and seen a few sold around that price... and the sale i'm looking at also includes a 25 foot monster cable, which we all know increase the SQ by at least 50 times [:D] because for some reason writing monster on any cable makes it alot better.

Another thing I have noticed is I now can hear how crappy my mp3s and mkvs sound [:(] Now i have to start replacing my mp3s with flac and mkvs with higher audio bitrate [:D]

Looks like you're putting together a Great System, Element! Congratulations! [<:o)]

There are a lot worse sub's out there than Def Tech. Onkyo comes to mind! [;)]

For that price, the supercube is a good buy for your HT. It should shake the walls pretty easily. I say get it! [Y]

Keep us posted,

Dennie

• Moderators

and the sale i'm looking at also includes a 25 foot monster cable, which we all know increase the SQ by at least 50 times Big Smile because for some reason writing monster on any cable makes it alot better.

You are being conservative. [:P]

If you have done your homework, you know what it typically sells for, it's within your budget....I say go give it a listen. If you like it, buy it, if not, you've lost nothing. If you like it, get it home and decide to go a different route, you should be able to sell it for what you have in it and at least break even. Again nothing lost.

Hey Elements,

Congratulations for your new Klipsch System... It was a great choice of speakers.

For the sub, have you considered SVS New PC-12 NSD for around 600+50 shipping. Its a great sub for HT (I guess best in that price range) and will look great in your house next year.

I have never heard of Def Tech making a great sub. The supercube specs are shown very optimistically and I cannot imagine a 10" Woofer going down to 13Hz. Even Klipsch RSW-10d with a similar design(PRs) goes down to only 24Hz and remember It cannot be a good comparison but the Deftech speakers drivers pale in comparison to Klipschs.The deftech frequency response may be off and not within 3db. Also, the woofer is made of polymer which I suspect may be polypropylene at best. I have heard Klipsch polymer cones and even they distort a lot, so even though you will be getting a 1500W amp, I believe you will be getting a lot of distortion. So in a way you are not getting a great deal at $450 even if its MSRP is $1199.Not to mention I believe it is only a 375W RMS and not 1500W RMS. 1500W is I guess peak power.I saw the Prosub 800 data which is stated to have a frequency response of 20Hz but its -3db point was actually 34Hz and it did not even touch 22Hz at -50db. So seems like Deftech specs are meant only for general public. but you have to also consider that that sub was only $399 and meant for general public.

On the other hand, SVS PC-12 is a 12" Woofer made of aluminium, a great enclosure and will look awesome between your TV and RF-82's. It goes down to 18Hz (within 3db) and SVS ratings are not done in-room so in room you may get the actual 13Hz. My room is too small for a 16" cylinder but I guess you may have the space. It has a 325W RMS Amp.SVS also has an in-home trial if you pay the shipping both ways which is around $50 each way.

Another choices may be Klipsch XW-500d for $500 which is an equivalent of RSW-10d(better in my opinion), which will go lower than RSW-10d but will have less acoustic output (around half) and XW-500d is a great sub if you consider the 500W RMS amp.

The third choice would be Mirage Prestige S10 with a 300W RMS(1200W Peak)namp. It is a great sub for , absolutely no distortion at all and remember Mirage Subwoofers are really worth twice their MSRP and if you get a deal like I got, a prestige S10 for 350, it is way better than supercube for $450.

If running low on money, I would have bought Mirage Prestige S10 or XW-500d now and/or would have added SVS the next year.

About surrounds, if you can wait for 6ave's Name your price promotion, you can get most klipsch speakers for 30-50% discounts. I got a pair of RS-42 for 50% discounts last year and once they also offered me a pair of RB-81s for a 50% discount but when I finally bought them after six months, at that their lowest price was $277 for 1 RB-81 and $327 for a pair of RB-61, still killer deals. I guess you can pick a pair of RS's for around 50% discount and may call them now to see if they have the REF IV speakers on sale.

At the moment (from Sound distributors) you can buy a pair of RB-81 for $600 (using their $200 coupon) or a pair of RB-81 for $800 with $400 to spend on any other Klipschs at full price [like a pair of RB1s and a pair of RS-42s for $900 total (using the coupon twice in two different deals)].

I bought a pair of RB-81s, a pair of XB-10s and a pair of WB-14 for $900 total. I sold the XB-10s for $200 on the CL. So in all, I got a pair of RB-81s and a pair of WB-14s for $700.

Thanks saurabhiitd for all your help. Does the 6ave name your own price happen at any specific time? Or is it more or less when they feel like running it?

I agree with you, any "pro reviewers" say the supercube 1 is amazing but ive heard mixed from everyone else... I've been going back and forth so much on getting it, I'm thinking I should just wait...

Some of my choices that I've looked into are (and I really don't care about size, I would rather make room then get a smaller sub just to fit)

svs PB12 for 1149

svs pb12 nsd 599

ED a7s450 850

ED a5-350 715

Velodyne DEQ-15R for 850 (probably can get it for 750ish new)

I would really like the pb13-ultra for 1699... but I really can't justify that much money on it... If I could get a used one closer to a thousand I could work something out lol

The Name your price offer comes every 3-6 months and it is random, they start it whenever they feel like. Try sounddistributors and see if they have anything for you, but you cannot ask for a discount from SDs. The best they do is give you a coupon (which is not really a good deal) or price match policy. The $200 coupon with RB-81s is a nice deal but then you have to spend 200 at the same site.

I really have no idea about ED subs so cannot comment at all, but PC-12 NSD seems to be a good choice. PC-ultra will have similar quality of sound like dynamics and frequency response to PC-12 NSD but will have more power and will dig deeper. Sure 1699 Vs 650 is a huge price difference.

I am not a big fan of subs with Port and driver on the same surface (like SVS Box subs) as port noise (which is out of phase with the driver) will cancel some of power from the woofer and also front firing port (not driver) muddies the sound. I had an energy sub ESW-10 with a front firing port and Energy S10.3 with 4 downfiring ports. The sound from S10.3 is much clearer because the port doesnot face you.

If you have 1000 bucks to spend, I would recommend one mirage prestige S10 and one PC-12 NSD. You can always ask SVS for a 5-10% discount. Mirage prestige S10 is very musical, the bass speed is almost like RB-81s and has absolutely no distortion or no Boominess at all. PC-12 NSD has a frequency response to 17Hz.

Velodyne makes good subs but I donot have any personal experience with them. I will be happy if I can keep you away from the supercubes.[:P]

I am not sure but I guess efficiency/sensitivity of Woofer drivers in the subwoofers should also matter. So just the amp power may not be the most important indicator of power.

Considering that the Klipsch drivers are the most efficient, I think you can also try XW-500d ($500 at Vanns) and if you like it get another one, that will be a combination of 1000W for $1000 and you can have independent left and right subwoofers.[:P] So even if the power output will be half, higher efficiency of klipsch woofers will make up for it. A sealed sub means no boom at all.

Having identical twins will not cause any phase adjustment problems too and XW-500d can be controlled by universal remotes.

I think XW-500d design is the one Klipsch considers the best as the new upcoming subwoofers are similar to XW-500d.

Check out this:

http://www.sounddistributors.com/Reference%20Mk%20II%20and%20Subwoofer%20Changes.pdf

and the sale i'm looking at also includes a 25 foot monster cable, which we all know increase the SQ by at least 50 times Big Smile because for some reason writing monster on any cable makes it alot better.

You are being conservative. Stick out tongue

Lol!!! ROTFL (sucks that forums does not have the right emoticon for it)

Well I ended up ordering the A5-350 from ED. I was pretty set on the A7s-450 but had a few doubts. First is that there was some issues with the amps that came with the A7s-450 and they said they fixed them... But you never know... Another thing I read was the A7s-450 really needs the eq.2 to really go low and get good sound, which was another 100 bucks bringing the total to 950 compared to the 715 for the a5-350. The last big factor was they said they were out of amps and would be at least 30 days just to get the amps...plus building, so it would be between 1 to 2 months till it shipped, compared to less than 2 weeks to deliver (hopefully)...

I was also a little concerned buying a sealed compared to a ported box. I will use it for the HT probably 99 percent of the time. I read that A7s-450 does great for movies though... but in the long run, the 2 month waiting period and the extra nearly 250 dollars brought me to ordering the a5-350. Anyway i just like how ported subs look...sealed just looks to simple [:D]

Well thanks guys for getting me away from the evil supercube 1. I don't have that gut feeling that I am wasting money on the ED like I did when I was thinking about the supercube!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, sorry to resurrect my old thread, but I'm about to order the rest of my setup! I'm finishing everything up with rs-62s for the surrounds and rb-61s for the rears. I kept getting quotes from sites and they were anywhere from 1400 to 1600 for 2 rs-62s and the rb-61 pair. A few sites I've been checking already sold out of either the rs or the rbs. So i finally tried one last time and got a quote for 999 for all. I was close to buying the rs-62s on ebay for 700 + shipping a week ago but then they sold for a little more than that I think, and any local Rb-61s around my area were about 400...

And hopefully in the next week or so I’ll be getting my a5-350 from ED... I was told i would receive it in 2 weeks nearly three weeks ago and now it’s hopefully shipping next week... But they seem like great people there with great subs for their price.

So now all I can do is wait...