Way to Make IFI compatible with latest gen Ipod Touches?

gbm22

The IFI dock will accept and play music from the latest Ipod Touches but it will not charge them.

If I buy a third-party Ipod dock that plays and charges the latest Ipod Touches, would it be possible to hook them up to the IFI system and still have the Ipods play and charge at the same time?

i'm not sure if the ifi dock uses 5V, but i remember someone mentioned it when drawing the pinout diagram. anyway, there are 'converter' that supposedly work with older ipod docks like iFi.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/griffin-charge-converter-firewire-to-usb-for-iphone-and-ipod/

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/ridax-offering-iphone-3g-charge-converter/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok, right now I dont have the iFi with me, so I need you to test the voltaje of this points also please if you can, check the mA min. 550 and max 1000 . This is my idea, correct me if it's wrong... We need at least 6.5 volts, that will be regulated by an LM317 for getting 5 constant volts. The design of the dock already has the space for a female dock conector look behind of HERE, so what we need to do is to conect the 5 volts to the 23rd pin on the place where the dock conector is suposed to be, then the same 5v now through a 150kohm resistor to the 25th and the 27th pin, and the ground to the 16th pin.

I hope this works, thanks for your help.

That's not useful for us, mmm please check the same on the ipod dock at pins 19,20

(Firewire Power + ) and (29,30 FireWire Ground -) I remember there were 10.*** vdc but not checked the mA. Today I bought the LM317T voltage regulator and tested it, it's perfect for this. Again thanks for testing.

• 3 weeks later...

Not that I condone or discourage anything that anyone is doing, but a circuit current limit of 1A would be a *really* good idea for those not wanting to start a lithium battery fire. Just a voltage regulator isn't going to cut it.

Also FYI... (10V-5V)*1A=5W so I'm just curious how you're going to deal with that heat.