RW12 Driver Rattle

iTide

I have been hearing a rattle in my sub for a little while and it is getting worse. So last night after the movie I decided to take a closer work. I listened all around and decided it was either the driver or something behind the driver. So I took the driver out and held it in my hand and turned the sub on. It is definitely the driver. It seems to be the center metal piece that is making the noise. You know where the center copper is glued to the outer copper piece. I don't know what the terms are. I can put my finger on the center of the sub and it stops. It does it at high levels and low levels. What are my options? Will Kliipsch sell me a replacement driver? Would another driver fit and sound good? I don't know what to do but this rattle is driving me nuts. Thanks

• Like 1

If the driver is still out, lay it on it's back and lightly push down on the center of the cone as to move the driver in and out. What do you feel? Is it smooth and you only feel the resistance of the suspension, or do you feel a little roughness? If you've already reinstalled the driver, it's OK, just do the same thing, it doesn't have to be on it's back.

Yes it is smooth. I don't know how to explain what is rattling. If you look at the copper driver. The center piece that is like glued in place is what is rattling. I can put my finger on it lightly and it stops rattling. I just don't know. It is not awful, but I can hear it all over the room. Once I hear it, I can't ignore it. Kind of a bummer.

• Like 1

Well, I called Klipsch and ordered a new rw12 driver. It came in 2 days. I pulled the old and put in the new and it is like a totally different sub. This is my first sub so I thought I was happy before. Wow that driver must have had some issues. My rw12 is unbelievable now. It sounds perfect. Best of all I felt Klipsch was VERY fair with their price and shipping. Very happy now.

• Like 1

Did the rattle you have sound like something, like a wire, was hitting the back of the driver when it was installed in the cabinet? I ask because I have a similar sound to what you've explained and I've been talking to Klipsch about it. I need to pull it out from behind my false wall and test the sub on it's side. I have two of these subs and only one makes this noise. From what I can tell, the output seems to be the same as the other sub. I can really only hear the rattle when I'm right up in front of the subwoofer.

• 2 months later...