Craig-Some possible HF-81 Help

jazman

Craig,

I was probably one of the first on the Forum to look toward the HF-81. Mobile never promised anaything other than an inexpensive way to possibly experience some of the best flavor that tube amplification can provide. I did not go for the low cost option, but one that had already been started on the upgrade trail. If you adjust the cost of this kit price from 1969 dollars to present dollars, it's not a cheap kit. Remember that gas cost five times more in 2002 than it did in 1969. Budget maybe, but not cheap. Whenever one makes a purchase of used anything, there's always the chance that you'll spend more dollars than planned to reach the desired level of performance/operation. The question is, do you really want to find out how good this piece is or can be? Only you can quantify that in the dollars and time you are willing to invest.

You seem very frustrated with your HF-81 project. Admittedly it's difficult to be impressed with something that is not working properly. That does not mean that all HF81s are likewise unimpressive. Take a deep breath for a moment. Hopefully a visit to a page by Roger Stevens, or sending him an email will shed some light on your problem and how to solve it. He's not a member of this forum and definitely an enthusiast of this piece of audio gear. The link can also be found on Mobiles HF81 page under Tweaks. Rogers email address is at the bottom of this page.

To Rogers pages on Modifying HF81

Good luck. I hope this helps.

Klipsch out.

This message has been edited by jazman on 04-01-2002 at 05:19 PM

jazman

I'm really not frustrated at all with the HF-81. Its Mobile that got frustrated. I'm in Tube Bliss myself I have 2 perfect working Scott's the HF-81 is no big deal really.

In fact I'm not pulling my hair out at all I sold the bare chassis for $10 less than I paid for the whole thing LOL !!!!! I get to keep the tubes and it has some juicy tubes. I have 5 EICO mullards that all test real strong and 4 are about as close to a match as can be LOL !!!! I also have 2 dead matching Mullard EZ-81s and a good Tungsol 12AU7 and 2 good 6BQ5's. Now I call that getting my money's worth for $10 LOL !!!!!

Let me know if anyone wants the EZ-81s I have no use for them. Make me a reasonable offer and I'll sell them to a fellow Klipchster first.

Thanks for your thoughts and help you da man

Craig

This message has been edited by NOS440 on 04-01-2002 at 11:02 PM

Craig,

It's good to hear you've found the ultimate solution. You've managed to put the cash back in your pockets. I may have to take the EZ81s off your hands because my Eico and my Cary can use that tube. Send me an email so we can work a price. I never have too many spares.

Klipsch out.

That's a smart new signature you got there NOS. New graphics package by chance?? Meant to comment in the previoius post but forgot.

Sometimes I have the memory of a goldfish!!

(A goldfish is supposed to have a 3-5 second memory - how do they know this? - anyway in the average bowl if it takes 10 seconds for the Goldfish to do a circuit that means it is saying "Bugger me - look at that" each time around). I have no idea why I shared this piece of information - must stop watching discovery channel!!

------------------

My System: http://aca.gr/pop_maxg.htm

Actually I could beat my chest and pump up the ego !! But I didn't make the little gif. A friend did it from another forum I hung out at years ago. I actually down sized it slightly and screwed it up. It used to move my name back and forth.

But thanks

Craig

------------------

Nos.gif

HH Scott 299 Amp

HH Scott LT-110B Tuner

HH Scott P-87 Turn Table

Grado cartridge

Sony CDP315 CD Drive

1985 Walnut Heresey I

KSW-15 Subs>c>

Craig,(aka Mr. Fancy sig)

Just kidding about the sig. I did not get the email. If you used the Forums mail link, I've found it sometimes work, and sometimes not. Send direct from your email to my email address; edmond@pcmagic.net

Klipsch out.

Craig,

I replied to your email.

A couple of quick positive comments from me on Mobile.

Email and Forum responses are very imperfect mediums for communication. They can and do save a lot of time but much is usually lost in meaning, suttle inflections, intonation, and many of the things that are taken for granted in face to face discussions, conversations or heated debates. I fear this has happened too often here. I think many here have been very sensitive to questioning and opinions. I once made a rather sarcastic, but tongue in cheek remark to deang about "respect" for Cornwalls and it immediately brought out the wolves. Remember, these forums exist for stating, and sharing our thoughts, experiences and opinions. I believe Mobile, as all of us here, is entitled to his opinions. His approach to prodding others thought processes may not be the most gentle, but it's "his" way. (I had a university professor that made Mobile's manner seem like childs play.) I don't think anything or anyone has run him away. He stated in earlier posts that the demands of his work required he pay more attention to that, and less time posting to this and other forums. His thoughts, ideas, opinions and suggestions have been invaluable to myself and other members, and I wish to say Thanks to him for all of his contributions. I welcome and value all thoughts and opinions of every member of this forum, and adult enough to investigate and utilize information offered as I see fit. I know I'm not perfect.

Only he or she among us who is perfect should cast stones. That should eliminate everyone.

Klipsch out.

Mike

My Sig is no longer bigger than my posts so I figured it was no big deal !!! I went to all the trouble of down sizing it so I wouldn't have to remember to deselect it in my posts all the time its a pain. How about I just loose the graphics ? Would that keep you from being annoyed ??

Craig

------------------

HH Scott 299 Amp

HH Scott LT-110B Tuner

HH Scott P-87 Turn Table

Grado cartridge

Sony CDP315 CD Drive

1985 Walnut Heresey I

KSW-15 Subs>c>

This message has been edited by NOS440 on 04-03-2002 at 04:04 PM

Craig,

Like I mentioned in the other post, I like the graphics. Rather, it is general Forum etiquette to post your signature one time in every thread. Even though mine is just a link to another BB where I have my equipment listed, I still only post it once per thread. I take the extra second to uncheck the "Show Signature" box after the initial signature post.

This was just a suggestion and you can do with it what you will. I didn't mean to single you out because there are many others who do the same thing. It's just yours was so much more noticeable. I will not bother you again about it...

Mike

If I had a fancy signature with photo or graphics, I would welcome the suggestion that I only use it once per thread, if I had not already thought of that natually. As a geezer I get reminded by youner people that I have already told that story already. Meanwhile I thought it bore emphasis and repitition. Or did I just forget.

What were we just talking about?

oh, right.....

It is like not using the same word over and over in the same sentence or paragraph if it can be avoided. This is something to be avoided since it is not as tasteful and tends to suggest that we are blind if we hadn't noticed it already. You want to avoid that.

Also, it should be avoided because after seeing it once on a page or thread, the repeated images make you think that it is like a billboard and you are driving around in circles. This should be avoided. Avoiding unnecessary repitition should not be avoided.

It looks cool once, then it seems like there is too much blue on the page as you scroll down, this must be the special NOS page or something. You don't necessarily want that much attention. Now if you could make it a different color each time, then that might be something not to avoid necessarily. And if you could change the graphics and the size each time, then it might become a movie we want to avoid missing.

Avoiding being scratched in the same place too much is not to be avoided because it doesn't keep the experience fresh. Keeping it fresh should not be avoided.

Keeping repitition fresh is a challenge unto itself. Absinthe makes the hearth grow fodder.

Now that I wrote this mess, I don't want to trash it, so I will post it anyway. I can always edit later.

peeted and repeeted

------------------

Cornwalls

currently upgrading

to all tube components

This message has been edited by Clipped and Shorn on 04-03-2002 at 10:25 PM

If I had a fancy signature with photo or graphics, I would welcome the suggestion that I only use it once per thread, if I had not already thought of that natually. As a geezer I get reminded by youner people that I have already told that story already. Meanwhile I thought it bore emphasis and repitition. Or did I just forget.

What were we just talking about?

oh, right.....

It is like not using the same word over and over in the same sentence or paragraph if it can be avoided. This is something to be avoided since it is not as tasteful and tends to suggest that we are blind if we hadn't noticed it already. You want to avoid that.

Also, it should be avoided because after seeing it once on a page or thread, the repeated images make you think that it is like a billboard and you are driving around in circles. This should be avoided. Avoiding unnecessary repitition should not be avoided.

It looks cool once, then it seems like there is too much blue on the page as you scroll down, this must be the special NOS page or something. You don't necessarily want that much attention. Now if you could make it a different color each time, then that might be something not to avoid necessarily. And if you could change the graphics and the size each time, then it might become a movie we want to avoid missing.

Avoiding being scratched in the same place too much is not to be avoided because it doesn't keep the experience fresh. Keeping it fresh should not be avoided.

Keeping repitition fresh is a challenge unto itself. Absinthe makes the hearthe grow fodder.

Now that I wrote this mess, I don't want to trash it, so I will post it anyway. I can always edit later.

peeted and repeeted

------------------

Cornwalls

currently upgrading

to all tube components