Mystery HT Femme Fatale???

HornEd

Here's an easy "Golden Oldie" that crossed my HT screen lately... playing the role that has a link to the Harlem Globetrotters.

{Pardon me, Wavey.gif but this photo slot was needed for the next Mystery Miss thread}

Who is she... and what is the link? Enjoy! -HornEd

This message has been edited by HornEd on 04-03-2002 at 12:54 PM

Sorry, Mystery Guest, I was on another thread posting a photo of your hubby. No, sorry, I thought she looked a little like Rita Hayworth in this photo... that's why I picked it.

You get a big LEMON for that one, Boa, but some say she sings like a lark.

The edster00's on to the link... the Harlem Globetrotters own the rights to the song "Sweet Georgia Brown" ...and the song holds a clue to her identity as an actress.

Gee, I didn't realize how much fun it is from this side! -HornEd

PS: I thought of making the clue an April Fool's joke... but I didn't!cwm5.gif

Splash, Boa, you got your tale wet on that one... but its rumored that the mystery lady and Ethel were once on a first name basis.

BTW, this golden girl is still strutting her stuff in 2002 and has a special link with a member of this Forum.

Hurry, before John Warren, fini, and Clipped and Shorn find this thread and nail her! -HornEd

This message has been edited by HornEd on 04-01-2002 at 10:31 PM

See, I said you had to hurry before fini found it out!

Right on... Lena Horne... Born Lena Calhoun Horne in 1917 and still going strong as a performer in her 80's.

The link to a member? HornEd... a bona fide Horne fan, just subtract the final "d" for Lena's last name.

Of course, Lena is most recognizable with her hair piled upon her head with a somewhat narrow face. This featured publicity photo has her in more of a Rita Hayworth look for her "Brazilian Boogie" number from "Broadway Rhythms" in 1944.

The link to "Sweet Georgia Brown"? Lena played femme fetalle Georgia Brown in the all black classic "Cabin in the Sky" starring none other than Boa's first guess, Ethel Waters.

Well thanks for those who lurked and those who guessed... it was fun while it lasted... but what can I say, this contest is fini. -HornEd

This message has been edited by HornEd on 04-02-2002 at 12:26 AM

You are a regular finiPacMan when it comes to gobbling up the golden oldies...

BTW, did you solve Clipped and Shorn's last stand of two unraveled beauties? I needed a clue... but I think C&S was making an "image-talkie". Here are the missing C&S links to finiSweep:

Pic4.jpg

Pic5.jpg

cwm40.gif Hey, why don't you put one up so us also rans can have a chance? -HornEd

PS: Did the photo do it all for you... or did the clues help?

This message has been edited by HornEd on 04-02-2002 at 10:39 AM

This time I actually recognized her...but had to research to confirm. As far as posting photos, I've a bit of an image problem...I'll figure out how to do it eventually.

I especially liked the connection to HornEd! (Did you see I got that, too?)

fini

You mean if Ed had the "d" spliced out of his DNA he would be Lena? Amazing what one little gene can do. But sorry "gene" is not a hint for the last two remaining gals, one of which is a bit obscure, unless you put some of the headline hints together. Admittedly the hint about the Mcguffin was purposely contrived, otherwise it might be a giveaway. OK, I will give it away. What film has a "Mcguffin" which is incinerated at the end. Guess you have to know what a McGuffin is.

The other young babe, should be easy, since she was so popular, and I am surprised no one picked up on the "pet" angle. "Fala" was FDR's dog. She likes animals. As does HornEd who revived the dead horse thread with two unsolved mysteries.

-gutened and morganed

------------------

Cornwalls

currently upgrading

to all tube components

This message has been edited by Clipped and Shorn on 04-02-2002 at 11:30 AM

Even though I scored a ringer, I'm only taking one point. It is a common misbelief that a Lena is worth two. Only if in the bush, mate. G'day.

Europe and Adam Hurley

This message has been edited by fini on 04-02-2002 at 11:42 AM

I knew about Fala, but did not make the connection to an animal lover like Brigitte Bardot... She raised our spirits in "And God Created Women" the same year I bought my first new Volkswagen. -HornEd

PS: fini, close counts in horseshoes... and you get two points for a Lena'

This message has been edited by HornEd on 04-02-2002 at 11:57 AM

Bravo HornEd, Brigitte Bardot is correct. She is so young in the photo that her later persona is somewhat obscured.

The last puzzle, I'm afraid will almost have to be solved through the hints, since her image in any form would only be known to a few fans of the silent film era. The "headline" hint should take you there, or at least to one mansion or another.

-tinted and hinted

------------------

Cornwalls

currently upgrading

to all tube components

Ahh, 'tis fini again with the lady on the very private second floor of Hearst Castle by headline entrepreneur William Randolf Hearst... whose first paper gave me may first byline. She looked hauntingly familiar... just couldn't find the right gal...ley. Congrats fini!

Mais, fini, the only way I could have given you 2 points honorably would have been if you detected that it was really her stand-in, Birdie Flugelhorne, that you saw on April first... so I added a point for the degree of difugelty. -HornEd