blu-ray + Slim PS3 + UMC-1

InVeNtOr

i have a question for those with a slim ps3 and the umc-1. the blu-ray movies Hell Boy 2, and Dark Knight, what does your umc-1 display say? i have the Fat PS3 and all it says is 3/2 +LFE DTS for HB and 3/2 + LFE Dolby D for DK. now i have spoken to Emotiva and they told me the slim version is the only ps3 that can send the HD audio through bitstream. so i am curious to know what it actually says. i would assume HB would say something like 3/4 + LFE DTS-HD.

i am currently trying to either sell my original backwards compatible ps3 or do a straight trade for a slim version. so far no luck.

thanks for any help.

I just did exactly what you're describing. With any Blu-Ray with HD audio it will say 3/2 + LFE DTS-Master, etc. It is true that only the new slim PS3s can Bitstream HD audio signals. My new PS3 has the Dolby TrueHD and a couple other symbols on the unit itself.

You shouldn't have any problems selling your backward compatible PS3. I guess the market value for a 60GB original one like I just sold is around $350. I sold mine to a friend along with 10-12 games and an HDMI cord for $250. I picked up my slim PS3 pre-owned on eBay for $260 including shipping.

I don't have the exact movies you mentioned in your post but all the Blu-Rays I've played show the HD audio signal on the display when you're playing the movie.

Thanks for the reply. That's what I was hoping. I do hope Hell Boy does show a 3/4 + LFE because its one of the few 7.1 blu-ray movies out there.

I think what I was told about the value was wrong. I looked on eBay and craigslist and there area a ton of backwards compatible ps3's and most are listed cheap. I may have to really drop my price and buy a used one.

Thanks again for the input!

I'll look through the Blu-Rays I have to see if anything is encoded in more than 5.1 and report back.

{edit} I have Top Gun and it has 6.1 DTS-Master. When the movie starts playing the UMC-1 displays DTS-HD Master Audio 48kHz L C R Ls Rs Cs + LFE.

well i just got my fat ps3 swapped out for the slim. found someone on craigslist who traded me out and gave me $23! sweet! anyways...

i did play Hell boy and Batman. happy to see the "master" and "hd" audio codes. Hell boy did say, "master" and "L, C, R, LS, RS, LB, RB, + LFE" so it does in fact read a true 7.1. i hadn't had time to see if i can hear a difference. when i switched the audio over it did seem to get a little crisper or clearer but, not positive on that.