LaScala bass. Wow!

sean5340

I know it's been talked about here a million times, but it needs to be mentioned again.

This morning I turned off the sub and loaded up Boston. I had almost forgotten how good the LS bass really is. Very impressive to say the least. It just sounds right to me. If you haven't heard it you must give it a listen.

Any ides how the bass to Cornwalls?

CW's definitely have "more" that is more LF bass than LaScalas. Aside from that, the difference in the sound is that of "direct radiator" woofer vs "horn loaded" woofer. To my ears, the horn loaded bass is less distorted. There is a difference. "better" is a matter of subjective preference.

When I had LaScalas, I enjoyed them and often used a sub to round out the bottom end, depending the musical material.

Khorns don't face the LF limitations of the LaScala bass horn, and thus, imo, never need a sub.

I know it's been talked about here a million times, but it needs to be mentioned again.

This morning I turned off the sub and loaded up Boston. I had almost forgotten how good the LS bass really is. Very impressive to say the least. It just sounds right to me. If you haven't heard it you must give it a listen.

Good call Sean! My La Scalas impress all who hear them and the bass is amazing and true.

A 15" woofer in a 11' folded horn sure sounds Good!! [:P]

Dennie

Good call Sean! My La Scalas impress all who hear them and the bass is amazing and true.

A 15" woofer in a 11' folded horn sure sounds Good!! Stick out tongue

Dennie

Word up on that! [Y]

Sorry for my typo. It's been a long time since I've had the pleasure of listening to LS's or K Horns. I was barely able to afford the Cornwalls as a student in 1977. I would love to meet a friend in the Houston area who would allow a visit. I did fall in love with K Horns but have not had the room or the money at the same time. Currently I'm running Cornwalls an a Heresy center.

I agree that there is something subjectively "good" about la scala bass, but the problem to me is there just isn't enough of it. It's been called "fast" bass, which really makes no sense if you think about it, although I can understand why one might describe it that way. I know it always depends on set-up, but my experience with the LS2 was that the bass was shelved down below the mids and rolled off hard at 50Hz. The Polk LSi9's I had for about five minutes sounded bassier to my ears. I'd describe la scala bass as clean and mean, but way too lean.