RB-5 With Integra

venaka

Guys need some quick help with your knowledge..I just got the DHC 40.2 Integra and I am running it with my Emotiva Xpa5.(just returned my UMC).

Ran Audyssey and I got Weird Crossover settings..SHould I leave em alone. Front 45hz, center 55hz surround 90hz.

My speakers consist of

RB-5 for left n right

Rc-3 Center

Emotiva Erd Surrounds

DEf 12"

Thanks Guys

Venaka,

The Audyssey MultEQ auto setup is pretty accurate but it is not perfect. I would boost your center up to about 70hz and your fronts to 60hz. You would not want your crossovers to be set below the lower frequency response of your speakers. JMO.

Bill

Thanx Bill, It actaully made a difference..

One thing that I also noticed on the audyssey is the level calibration.

for the fronts -8 db

center--9.5db

surr -4.5

and sub-1

So my volume needs to be at around 45-51 to have it just right..On my Umc, their Automatic Eq would set this much higher so my volume never really went any higher than 30.??

Do you think I should adjust my levels a little higher..The only thing I really notice when I move this to 0db is higher volume.

Thanx Bill, It actaully made a difference..

One thing that I also noticed on the audyssey is the level calibration.

for the fronts -8 db

center--9.5db

surr -4.5

and sub-1

So my volume needs to be at around 45-51 to have it just right..On my Umc, their Automatic Eq would set this much higher so my volume never really went any higher than 30.??

Do you think I should adjust my levels a little higher..The only thing I really notice when I move this to 0db is higher volume.

Me personally I would leave the levels alone. I don't think it would make a difference other than higher sound at lower levels (which you already pointed out) I have an Onkyo Receiver with Audessey as well and it set all my klipsch speakers to -12 or -11 and my polk center to -9 and believe it or not my volume also stays around the same range. 45-51 for movies. Cable TV is a little louder so I can usually stay around 40.....I think it sets up the speakers so that they'll be at 75db when the test tones are played. (eliminating the need for a spl)

Yeah I think they are gonna stay like this..Wow this pre/pro is alot more of a movie theater experince then my umc1.

You guys are awesome thanks!

I also read somewhere to put all the hz @ 80..and my integra shows 80hz as THX..I tried this on all the speakers but couldnt tell a difference..so im leaving them like mentioned above.

Yeah I think they are gonna stay like this..Wow this pre/pro is alot more of a movie theater experince then my umc1.

You guys are awesome thanks!

I also read somewhere to put all the hz @ 80..and my integra shows 80hz as THX..I tried this on all the speakers but couldnt tell a difference..so im leaving them like mentioned above.

Yes 80hz is the recommended THX crossover point. Basically it all depends on your speakers. If your main front speakers can go down to 60hz then you can actually set the crossover to 60hz. Because the crossover is basically the point at which the sub kicks in. Most main speakers aren't that good below 80hz so its best to let the sub handle anything below that. I tried the 60hz setting on my system and lost a little detail because even though my speakers were rated to 60hz they weren't exceptional at it. Would've been fine without a sub but since I had one I changed it to 80hz and when I did everything blended together better. Now the exception to the rule would be floorstander speakers. They can generally do a fantastic job at 60hz.....but most people usually set them to 80hz as well because nothing can handle the lows better than the speaker that was made solely for that purpose.....just like most subs can't handle the upper frequencies that well. Have you tried setting the crossover to 120hz? (i did) well it sounded terrible, lol. So all in all the Hz setting depends on your particular system and your tastes. The recommended setting is 80 but if your mains can handle lower then it may sound better at 60hz. You said you didn't hear any differences though so you are doing the right thing....leave it at 80hz that way you can be sure no "details" are being lost

Yeah I think they are gonna stay like this..Wow this pre/pro is a lot more of a movie theater experience then my umc1

Lol. I say that every time I upgrade a component. When I upgraded my receiver it was a huge jump and when I upgraded my mains to Klipsch it was another huge jump. Each jump bringing me closer and closer to that theater experience at my house. I'm glad you like your setup. Congrats on the upgrade. I can't wait to get my system setup with separates

Yeah seperates is the way to go....

60hz sounds a little more like a theater experience..not so warm like 80hz. Im not sure if i make sense.

Yeah I hope Im done for a while in upgrading..Well...

My rb-5 are original bought new..I might need an upgrade for my fronts..lol

Yes I understand. You're probably hearing the extra bass or the extra ooomph from your fronts picking up more of the bass duty from the sub (since the crossover is set lower at 60hz) but at 80hz they are pretty much only handling the midbass and upper end of the spectrum which explains the warmer sound. My 61s didn't sound quite as good at 60hz even though they can handle those frequencies. You speakers do have 8" woofers tho. With that being said if you ever do decide to upgrade the fronts make sure you do extended listening. I like the "new" klipsch sound but owners of the reference line that you have generally dislike the sound bc it isn't as "In you face" me personally I haven't heard the RB-5s or anything from that series so I can't comment either way....but I mean you really can't get much better as far as bookshelf speakers go. Keep your fronts! lol. ( I have to upgrade bc the speakers I am replacing are Sony's and HTiB speakers, LOL) Yes I know....bad excuse.

Yeah I hope Im done for a while in upgrading..Well...

My rb-5 are original bought new..I might need an upgrade for my fronts..lol

RB-5's are great as the mains in a HT system. With the right subwoofer, I would put the RB-5's up against any bookshelf speakers in their price range and in many cases much more $$$. As a matter of fact, there are many towers(including Klipsch) out there that would be shamed to go up against the RB-5's for HT or music. You may have figured out by now that I love the RB-5's. LOL.

Bill