Khorn mini drawing/plan

hifido

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice comments from some of our more seasoned folks.

Hmmm... just thinking out loud, but is there anything structurally, architecturally, of historically "important" behind these corners?

I mean, if you like woodworking there are some additional possibilites for a high efficiency horn loaded approach... some of which might not intrude into the room at all.

• 2 weeks later...

I have newer AK4 Klipschorn's. I used to have them in a very large room in a different home I used to live in. I struggled to get bass output as well as my CornScalas (Super Cornwall), it had great corners. I sealed the Klipschorn's in the corners with lining it with pipe foam as many have suggested, that did help the bass some but it was still just ok.

I've always heard Klipschorn's to be used only in large rooms and read many warnings not to use in smaller rooms. I moved into a new home, I did not have perfect corners in the large rooms, only in one room that starts at 12ft long but then tappers down to 10ft at the listening chair, sort of like a triangler shape room, it's an odd shape room. Ceiling is 9.9ft tall. I thought this room would NEVER work but I had no choice but to use it in that room if I wanted to keep the Klipschorn's.

What a shock! I've had the Klipschorn's in 3 different rooms over time in differnt homes that were larger rooms but this smaller room really shocked me how well it sounds! Now the bass is about the same output of my CornScala but the complete room turn's into a wonderful cloud of music, it's the best I've ever heard the Klipschorn's ever sound. I was shocked, I thought it would be the opposite. It just went to show me that I pre-judged something that wouldn't work, but it worked and did so far better. This might have something to do with the odd shaped room but it works! The vocals are smooth and enjoyable, I hear more detail than before and it doesn't over-power the room, even listening to albums at the same volume I listened to at the other house. Very strange!

Sometimes you have to just try it and see how it works. If I use the Klipschorn in any of the other rooms, I would have to close the backs on them, I've thought about it but since all of the family really likes how it sounds where it is now, I've left them in the corners of that small room.