DIY surrounds using Crites CT125

cfelliot

When I replaced my center channel with a Heresy I to go with my Heresy III L/R, I appreciated a vast improvement in sound quality in my home theater.

What I’m looking for is a way to achieve the same with my surrounds. I had considered building Bob Crites CS-1 speakers for this purpose. Unfortunately, I think that it will be a little overpowering, visually, to have 7 Heresy size speakers in my smaller room.

I started looking at the combination of a Crites CT-125 and a Fostex FE166En full range 6.5”. The FE166 will go high enough to facilitate a crossover in the same region as the Heresy. Installed in roughly a .4 ft^3 sealed enclosure, this would be the ideal size. Albeit, this speaker would have no low end and it would require the surround low end to be routed to the subs through the AVR.

I offer the above for comments and have the following questions:

Is this a valid concept? I know some are using surrounds that are the same as their fronts. The surrounds seem to be mostly effect speakers to me.

Would there be a better low end speaker to use in this design?

Am I just mental for even thinking this might be possible?

Good to know![:)]

Bob's CS-1 doesn't use the CT125, rather a Selenium D220Ti crossed over at somewhere around 1kHz. The HM25-25 Horn he uses with it is too large for the enclosure I envision. I know this will require a custom crossover, but I think it could be a simple 1st order given the range of both drivers.

If Bob doesn't chime in I will send him the question directly.

I realize it is a compromise, but if the CT125 is set to the same crossover point as the Heresy the high end should match well.

Isn't using a center Heresy with KHorns or LaScalas also a compromise?

I just want to find the right speaker for the low end and I'm not sure the Fostex is as yet!

The problem is not the tweeter. Folks have been replacing the K77 with the CT125. Some like it. Some don't. But it really isn't the issue.

The problem is the elimination of the squawker that gives all the Heritage line much of its character. A Heresy is as close as you can get to the bigger Heritage speakers down to the squawker low end crossover point of 700 Hz. There is a bit of difference due to the lower crossover point in the bigger models but not nearly the difference you will experience if your eliminate it. Eliminate the squawker and it just ain't the same thing, although it might be nice. No cone speaker is going to sound like a Heritage squawker.

It is really going to depend on your ear. If you are like me, you will likely be disappointed. Currently, my system consists of Heresys all around with a subwoofer. At one time I had 1983 Heresys with the K53 squawker driver for surrounds and earlier models with the K55 squawker driver for the rest. I found the difference in timbre annoying enough when sounds panned around the room that I replaced the surrounds with earlier Heresys.