Model H speakers

Michael Mills

Hello Klipsch fans. I could use your help to identify these model H speakers I found. What I'm looking for is year and month made. Are these common or are they rare. Type: H -D-12. Serial numbers are: 348 & 349. Tweeters: K-77 ( 219 / 220 ). Midrange: K-55- V ( 2087 & 2088 ). Midrange horns have K- 1000 on each. Woofers: K-22 ( 1206 & 1194 ). Inspected by: Portus Gilley/ Tested by: Lloyd McClellan. These are Birch raw. Designer type. Thanks for any help.

What you have are early Heresy speakers, before the change to the K700 horn and the advent of serial numbers with year codes in them. I think you will have to check with the factory if you want to know when they were made. First Heresys came out in 1957. First serial numbers with year codes came out in 1962.

Are there EIA codes like 649xxx on the woofer or tweeter? Or 795xxx on the squawker driver? If so, the first x is the last digit of the year it was made, and the next two xs are the week. That would set a lower limit on the manufacturing date unless components were upgraded some time after the speaker was produced.

Michael: The last use of the K-1000 horn in the Heresy was in 1966. Given that there is no letter code in the serial number, they are pretty early... The transition from the University mid range driver started in late 1959 through 1961. As likely as not, that would put them in that "spread", and more likely 1960-61. The EIA driver codes don't apply until about after 1968-1969. Klipsch was never issued an EIA code, so you have to know the manufacturer and how the numbers were applied.

In the case of the D's, the driver serials were applied by Klipsch, but not related to dates of manufacture. They would only relate to that "batch". Given the transition date, and given that Klipschorns and Cornwalls were top priority, That begins to oint to 1960-1961 as the date of manufacture of the speakers themselves.

To really identify the date of manufacture would require access to the Klipsch Engineering library/ archives. Unfortunately, that is an extremely difficult thing to do.

Take a look at: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/103886.aspx

Hope that's of some assistance.

[H]