Sony ES receiver, 120 watts per channel - really need a power amp?

Tim Currie

Just a quick question. I've got a few year old Sony (dont wanna hear it, works great :) ) ES receiver that is spec'd at 120 watts per channel, 7.1 I only use 5.1, mains are KLF-20's. You think I'd notice a big difference with one of the big 3 channel amps like the Emotiva that do 200x3 across the front? I rarely feel the need to blast movies or games at ridiculous levels but I do like it loud. And music is 2 channel so the receiver ought to put out a decent amount of power in 2 channel no? Worth it or no?

• Moderators

Take a look at my comments in this thread. Unfortunately, manufacturers specs are often higher than actual test results. I was disappointed to find out that my 130 watts x 7 tested at around 103 x 5 and only 55w x 7. WOW! That was an eye opener for sure. You would think that a $1200 receiver would be able to deliver what it says it can do at "All Channels Driven". Unfortunately, when we ask a receiver to decode, amplify and do the audio/video switching, there must be compromises. With an external amp, you allow the receiver some relief to drive the rears and do the decoding/processing etc.

When I added my Parasound amp, there were some definite improvements. You can read my "First Impressions" thread here.

I don't think you have to "blast at ridiculous levels" in order to appreciate the benefits of an external amp.

Take it for what it's worth...these are just my thoughts.

Just a quick question. I've got a few year old Sony (dont wanna hear it, works great :) ) ES receiver that is spec'd at 120 watts per channel, 7.1 I only use 5.1, mains are KLF-20's. You think I'd notice a big difference with one of the big 3 channel amps like the Emotiva that do 200x3 across the front? I rarely feel the need to blast movies or games at ridiculous levels but I do like it loud. And music is 2 channel so the receiver ought to put out a decent amount of power in 2 channel no? Worth it or no?

I have the Sony DA777ES receiver, it was $1600 when new, the remote for it is $300 and the remote owners maual is twice as thick as the receivers. It is supposed to be the finest 5.1 receiver that Sony ever made, and it weighs a ton. The receiver has a ton of features and it has a huge, heavy transformer, but it's amplifier section does not compare to my Nakamichi PA-7 Amplifiers. I will be listing the Sony receiver as well as two other Sony pieces shortly.

Roger

i have seen it, time and time again in sound and vision when they compare receivers and they do their own benchmarks, its rediculous how far off the ratings are when all channels are driven, granted, 50wpc is a good amount of power but leaves no overhead whatsoever in most cases. It really comes down to what you want to pay in the end. Emotiva seems to make some rocksolid amps, from my couple months of use, i wouldnt hesitate to buy another amp from them. I wish i had the technical expertise to really test them to truely 100% eval them but i like the majority don't. Their processors....well, so far mine is working ok, i have the UMC-1 and i def found the glitches that are well known, i think one day they will nail down the processor production but that day isnt here yet. I have the XPA-5 amp, 200 watts a channel, it gives a person ALOT of options are far as hooking things up or having multiple speakers powered by a single channel, def like those options!

• Moderators

If you keep an eye in the Emotiva Emprium thread in their forum, you can often snag an XPA-3 for $450 and can easily turn around and sell it for what you have in it, even back on the Emporium if you don't notice that much improvement.

I love the fact that during a movie, it can be totally silent and then something loud happens (gunshot, explosion ect) and the Parasound is able to take the RF-83's from a stand still to full on action with power and authority. That is something my Yamaha could not do by itself.