Speaker advice for medium-ish sized room

Moros

Hi all,

Hoping to get some advice before buying speakers for a new theater room. I have about a $6k budget and am looking at the following setup.

• Center: RC-64 II
  • Front Towers: RF-82 II
  • Side Surround: RS-62 II
  • Surround Back: RS-62 II or RB-81 II
  • Sub: RSW-10d

With the room layout below, which has no back wall and opens to an upstairs hallway and the stairwell, would the RS-62 or RB-81 be better suited for back surround speakers? Also, is a 7.1 system maybe too much for this room (I know you can never have too much but I thought I'd ask). Any adivce is always appreciated.

Thanks

(not sure if the image is working so here is a direct link just in case 'My Layout' )

Moros,

Welcome to the forum.

With that layout, I would just go 5.1 and get the RS-62 II's. Though I have never demoed the the RF-82 II's or the RC-64 II, I don't think they will be timbre matched. The 82 II's have a 1 inch tweeter and the 64 II has a 1.75 inch tweeter. With $6000.00 at your disposal, I would shoot for an RF-83/RC-64 combo on the used market or leftover new stock from a liquidator. JMO.

Bill

My room is similar in size and I found that for me 7.1 just didn't work. Not enough space for proper speaker placement. I agree that a 5.1 setup looks like the way to go IMO. I agree that you should look for a 83/64 front stage, I did have a 82/62 though and really liked it. Might also consider a bigger sub, I used a RW-12D and still upgraded to a DIY project.

Anyways, Welcome, post pictures and good luck!!

~ross