Sub 10 Dead!!! Is it worth replacing the amp?

tday6937

Hi, I am new to Klipsh, I just purchased the Sub 10 used, 2 weeks ago for $150. It is about 2 1/2 years old(the guy I bought it from gave me a copy of receipt) I tried the sub out, and it worked great. We watched one movie and I loved it, then I went to turn it on to watch a movie last night, and the blue light did not come on. Checked the fuse, and it was blown, when I put a new fuse in it appearently blows as soon as I hit the switch, because the blue light doesn't even come on for a second. So now after doing some recearch online, I see that there were problems with the amps in these. From some of the posts I have read, Klipsh will send me a refurbished amp for $60.00. but with shipping, I am probably going to have $100.00 in it. I really don't want a $150.00 boat anchor, and I hate to give up on Klipsh so easy, but I dont want to sink money into a refurbished amp, unless they have addressed the issues. I would appreciate any thoughts or Ideas, maybe there is a better amp that is still compatible? I know this is not one of their high end subs, but I researched it before I bought it, and it seemed to be fairly well regarded for the price range, and I will be happy with it, if it works.

Thanks in advance.

Well I contacted Klipsh today, and the $60.00 refurbished amp must have been an old post.

They gave me two options $160.00 and they send me a new amp, or $120.00 and I send the amp to Sybesma's Electronics
in Holland MI

What I thought was strange, was the person I spoke with at Klipsh said he would recommend the repair, even though it was only $40 less.

Vanns online store has the Sub 10 for $249.00 no tax or shipping, and I checked, Vanns is an authorized Klipsh dealer.

Am I missing something here? Or does this seem like a no brainer. Maybe I can sell my dead one on craigslist for $50 to someone who likes to tinker:)

Thanks for the reply.

What do you think about the $250. for a brand new one from Vanns. Is there anything in that price range that would be a better buy? I know if I were looking in the $500. range there would be more options, but for the sake of argument let say that is my budget for now. I'm not an audiophile, and I don't need to rattle the walls, I just want to add some clean bass.