bass less room--what to do

quadklipsh

Quad,

Treating the reflection points at the height of the tweeters.....including the wall directly behind the speakers ......with acoustic panels (absorbers) will help tame the higher frequencies hence making the bass sound more prominent. I do this in my room and after some experimenting I've had dramatic results. Google room acoustics and you'll find unlimited info on different approches to dealing with your room.

I'd start with the reflection points and go from there.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I struggled with what sounds like the problem for over a year in almost square room. Square is bad. I lost mid base in my square room. Your room is slightly larger so your loss is a little lower it seems. The label for the problem is mode cancellation. Same principal as noise cancelling earphones. The bass sound waves in a square room meet each other and there is an elimination. I tried a ton of absorption and acoustic treatments and it helped but the only solution for me was to move to a different room. Ironically the best sounding speakers (I tried many) in that room were horns. The bad room had me trying everything i could find and that is how I discovered that horns were for me.

BLISS53 ...... you mentioned this in your other account ,here it goes ....

As to speaker placement, my suggestion is to leave no more (and no less) than ~56 inches between the front inside corners of your speakers. I would place them so that same front inside corners are at least 4 feet from the wall behind them (experiment with a bit more if you can). I'd place the main listening position at a point just behind (further from the speakers) than would make an equilateral triangle. I'd also toe-in the speakers so they are aiming at the center of the wall behind you when you're listening.

this worked for me towards 70 % improvement , i did the same just a day before i read it ...and though i havent installed or got hold of any bass traps or diffusers , the sound has somewhat become listenable at medium levels .

now im thinking of those corner treatments . and the bass traps.

but what should be done for the stairways and the computer corner .?????

i thank you for ur link , a billion .

bliss...

im sorry for being ultra lousy at joining that forum, i just cant get past that password thing in the first go [:$] .....

could you just do me a big favour....could u cut paste those pictures here as well,so that i can see whats going on in that forum , please .thanks again

• 2 weeks later...

BLISS53 ...... you mentioned this in your other account ,here it goes ....

As to speaker placement, my suggestion is to leave no more (and no less) than ~56 inches between the front inside corners of your speakers. I would place them so that same front inside corners are at least 4 feet from the wall behind them (experiment with a bit more if you can). I'd place the main listening position at a point just behind (further from the speakers) than would make an equilateral triangle. I'd also toe-in the speakers so they are aiming at the center of the wall behind you when you're listening.

this worked for me towards 70 % improvement , i did the same just a day before i read it ...and though i havent installed or got hold of any bass traps or diffusers , the sound has somewhat become listenable at medium levels .

now im thinking of those corner treatments . and the bass traps.

but what should be done for the stairways and the computer corner .?????

i thank you for ur link , a billion .

I sounds like you are moving towards a near-field set up. In this set up I found that you eliminate some reflection problems but you may loose some depth and fullness. Keep trying the suggestions that do not cost money. I threw up couch cushions, pillows and blankets all over the place to try and figure in out. As far as the stairways and computer desk, these are irregular surfaces that can diffuse the sound so that it does not bounce back in an undesirable way. I only know a little more than what you read in the link I gave you, but it makes sense if you think about the chambers that speaker designers use measure their designs, they want to remove all reflections to measure only the speaker's performance.

my email is drsherry1978@gmail.com.

post me some pictures of your room where you finally got better settled with the treatment .if you dont have em , neva mind .

im going into the near field setup, yup you are right....it feels better . the vocals lie ahead over my head , and there is a better involvement overall.

In 2006, i had a bookshelf speaker called QUAYLE , 8"driver with a silk dome ,made in US though, i couldnt find anything on them on the web , but hey they brought me to the audio world . i gave off listening to my bigger boomier bassier badass kenwood LS707M speakers which i highly cared for......It was because the quayle brought me the kind of imaging , the tightness and clarity that smaller cabinet speakers are known for ,and that i could never find in those kens .also it was more enjoyable to listen to quayles while sitting in the arms reach to them . simply more maturer sound .i could hear just music and no added sounds, no bass air that makes your mids and highs go under the blanket ..., anyways thats so much for the quayle .

now as i got into klipsch , i found em to be even more detailed than those quayle,(my cousin has em now, with alota pride) lolz ... i could get the same imaging and depth in my bedroom with RF 3s sitting at 10 feet away, as i used to get with bookshelves , but hey NOT in this living room , henceforth i am again sitting close to em ...