Just upgraded RC-64 to RC-64 II

CopperCone

Keep in mind that the RC-64 II's horn is designed to disperse sound the best when laying flat. If you're thinking of standing them up on end to use as front mains you're going to have a very narrow soundfield coming from each one. If you have enough room to lay them flat like your center is already sitting then it would sound much better.

• 4 weeks later...

Off Topic:

Is setting a TV on top of the RC-64 or RC-64 II a good idea? I notice you have an LCD and they are a bit lighter then my plasma but I guess I always assumed it might vibrate or something? My center is way to low and setting it under my TV would be much more ideal. Any input on that? notice it move the tv at all?

BTW I just finished my 5.1 with a normal rc-64, now I want a II. thanks.........ha.

The ability to set my TV on top of this speaker was the primary reason I chose it over the RC62 :) No vibrations at all, even with center crossover set at 50Hz. Was a perfect solution given my entertainment center can't fit a center channel wider than 18" inside of it. This speaker is big and weighty itself and handles the TV with no problems. The height of the speaker is just right for listeners seated on the couch 10 feet away from it. BTW, note the reflection in the TV screen which gives it away as a plasma vs an LCD :) Just make sure your TV stand attachement is not deeper than 12.25" for the RC64II and 13" for the RC64.

Off Topic:
Is setting a TV on top of the RC-64 or RC-64 II a good idea? I notice you have an LCD and they are a bit lighter then my plasma but I guess I always assumed it might vibrate or something? My center is way to low and setting it under my TV would be much more ideal. Any input on that? notice it move the tv at all?
BTW I just finished my 5.1 with a normal rc-64, now I want a II. thanks.........ha.

Do it. Proper height of a center speaker is important. You can angle the speaker up or down if it can't be mounted correctly but nothing beats having it at the proper height from the get-go.

• 1 year later...

I attribute this to the larger compression driver, lower cross-over point and the fact that their is only ONE cross-over point at 1400hz which is perhaps less detectable. The previous center had two woofers crossed at 1150hz and two crossed at 1800hz (Klipsch Tapered Array Technology). Klipsch warned that this "eliminates acoustic interference between the woofer outputs, a flaw in conventional speaker designs that can severely impair sound quality at the sides of the listening area.". Therefore, It would seem strange that Klipsch would introduce this known 'flaw' into the new RC-64 II? Perhaps the flaw is eliminated with the one low cross-over point? So far as I know, on the new center all four woofers reproduce the same frequencies right up to the 1400hz cross-over point.

I realize this is an old post, but thought it would be worth updating for anyone reading this. I was comparing the cut-sheets between the two models. What I have read does not agree with the original reviewers statement. From what I can tell is there are really two differences between the models.THey replaced the 1.25" titanium dome tweeter with a 1.75" version and they lowered the 1800 Hz crossover of one woofer pair down to 1400Hz as well as the other pair being lowered from 1150 to 1100 Hz. Just guessing here, but with the larger tweeter they were probably able to let it handle more of the signal.With the tractrix horn I would guess the more of the signal coming from there the better. Net gain in the newer model, seems to be, an additional 450 Hz coming from the tweeter. I will have to look into upgrading my RC-64 with a new tweeter and see about changing the cap on the crossover to lower it to 1400HZ.Should make for a good project. Anyone done this already?

Yes, since this post, and in response to questions from several members of this forum, Klipsch has updated the specs on their website to indicate that the crossover points for the woofers are 1100 and 1400, outer to inner respectively. It really did make a HUGE differenct in sound, for both movies and especially music when I upgraded from the RC-64 to the RC-64II. I had just bought the former and asked the local dealer if he could work out an upgrade to the II after only a month. He allowed this for an addtionaly $200 as he had a buyer for my old one. What a deal as the price for the new one was $400 difference :)

I just purchased an RC-62 ii for my bedroom setup and contacted Klipsch support to see if it has a similar tapered crossover setup to the previous RC-62. I was told the latest RC-62 II version does not utilize the tapered array and that both woofers are crossed at the same 1500hz. See a recent post of mine (http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/160456.aspx). I can tell you that although the RC-62II sounds similar to my rc-64II, movie vocals and music do still sound a bit better on the 64II and I'm thinking the same as you that the larger diameter tweeter at 1.75" may be making that difference. I still have the RC-3 (tapered at 1150,1950) and wanted to do the same thing as you .. buy the new 1.75" tweeter and crossover setup to convert it. The parts may be easier to swap out on the RC-3 than the RC-64 as it doesn't have the tweeter integrated in with any baffle. That's something you'll have to work around. I haven't been able to locate replacement parts for the RC-64II yet. If you are able to do this project and find the parts etc.. I'd be very interested. Keep us posted!!!!

buy the new 1.75" tweeter and crossover setup to convert it. The parts may be easier to swap out on the RC-3 than the RC-64 as it doesn't have the tweeter integrated in with any baffle. That's something you'll have to work around. I haven't been able to locate replacement parts for the RC-64II yet. If you are able to do this project and find the parts etc.

I have the RC-64 BTW. I forgot to mentoin that. Changing the crossover points shouln't be too difficult. Changing the driver is the tough one for me. I have been looking for a suitable replacement but not anything solid at his point. I have about 6 different speaker projects going on right now so a little stretched on time to give to much to the RC-64. It sounds good as it is. But I believe that upgarding the driver and changing the crossover points would be a noticeable improvement, just like you say. Does the RC-64 II still have the 1" horn throat? I would really like to see a schematic of the RC64-II crossover, or even a photo. Then I could be assured I have the crossover mods correct. I have a feeling its just a couple of different capacitor values being used. Would love to know exactly what they are supposed to be.

Maybe I have this wrong, but it seems the tweeter would cross over at 1400 Hz. The 1.25" driver they had before probably couldn't handle that low. I really can't assume anything without having a quick look at the crossover. But if it is using the same driver as some of the other RF7 models used, those looked an awful lot like the
P.AUDIO BMD440 PRO. But the specs on that driver just don't seem to match the RC-64. Not a real impressive curve, IMO. The Selenium D220Ti might be a good option. It has a pretty nice flat response curve and will go down to 1000Hz.

In one of my other projects I am going to purchase a few of these D220Ti drivers. It would be a good opportunity to see how one does in the RC-64. See if it even fits etc. I'll let you know what I find out. If anyone knows where I can find a schematic of these, please point me to it.