Just upgraded RC-64 to RC-64 II

CopperCone

I just sold my RC-64 and upgraded to the RC- 64 II.

Immediate impressions:

It's a beauty! The plastic baffle in front of the woofers is gone and nothing but black wood veneer, black tweeter horn and copper cones behind the grill. I was hoping that with the extra money spent I would immediately notice a difference when I first fired up a movie and dolby HD music. Well, I absolutely did! First impressions and the 'wow' effect can go a long way to justifying a purchase. The vocals sound more effortless, crisp, and life-like .. sounds more "real", as if the charactors are in the room with you. I can detect more subtleties in the human voice (especially) as well as in music details. I attribute this to the larger compression driver, lower cross-over point and the fact that their is only ONE cross-over point at 1400hz which is perhaps less detectable. The previous center had two woofers crossed at 1150hz and two crossed at 1800hz (Klipsch Tapered Array Technology). Klipsch warned that this "eliminates acoustic interference between the woofer outputs, a flaw in conventional speaker designs that can severely impair sound quality at the sides of the listening area.". Therefore, It would seem strange that Klipsch would introduce this known 'flaw' into the new RC-64 II? Perhaps the flaw is eliminated with the one low cross-over point? So far as I know, on the new center all four woofers reproduce the same frequencies right up to the 1400hz cross-over point. I have not noticed any dialogue issue no matter where we sit around the speaker. All I can tell you is that everything sounds improved. The sound charactoristics are a night and day difference over the previous RC-64, which I wouldn't have known until I got the new edition, sounded a bit more mechanical and harsh. This new speaker delivers a warmer more theater like sound for sure and matches up nicely with my new RC-62 II surrounds.

Measurments on Klipsch site for RC-64 II incorrect:

see http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/rc-64-II-overview/

The measurements reported for Depth is 10" and 13" with the grill. The actual measurements for Depth is 11 5/8" and 12 6/8" with the grill on and at mid-grill (grill has slight curve to it). The actual measurements were very important to me as I rest my plasma on the speaker and the tv base is 12 3/8". Otherwise, with my current entertainment center, I would not have been able to upgrade. The reported length of 35 3/4" and height of 8" is accurate. I hope Klipsch updates this information on their website, which is also posted by their authorized retailers, is modified so customers realize the grill isn't really 3" deep and help make the decision of whether the speaker will fit in the intended space.

RF-7 II Mention:

I would like to upgrade to the RF-7 II's next, yet due to the big price tag on those will have to hold off for the time being. I saw the speakers on display but didn't get to hear them. They actually look more refined than the RF-83's or 63's. And the half-sized grill actually looks better in person than in the pictures. The speakers do have a huge footprint though, which is a refersal from the wafer-thin trendy look of speakers of late. May be a tough sell for some regarding WAF. The same 'ole wood veneer taken off the Klipsch parts shelf unforturnately. I would like to see a W-series reminiscent expresso version of the RF-7 II. Fortunately, the ML's I have and velodyne seem to complement and integrate in with my klipsch speakers nicely, especially for movie watching. For stereo music, the ML's and Velodyne sound great together.

You will be happy! A week after using this new center and I'm still discovering nuances when re-watching my DVDs. Music sounds awesome through this and I'm using it with the 'Studio-Mix' option when listening to Pandora through the Onkyo. The vocals are amazing! The new tweeter kicks!

very nice indeed. can't wait to receive mine with the rf7 II's and rs62's just shipped friday!

Me to my RFII's should be in my house by the weekend and the 64II to follow Cool

THAT'S AWESOME!!!! Let us know how they sound together and please post some pics.

Were you able to get a break off the List price for the these speakers? It looks like Audiophileliquidator.net carries the RF-7 II's for $2293.20/pair and the RC-64 II for $917. Looks like shipping would be ~$450 and $101 respectively. I've never actually used this web store (not sure if authorized reseller, though they seem to have the newest klispch stuff pretty quick!) but have used the prices listed to bargain with a local retailer.

http://www.audiophileliquidator.net/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=klipsch+rf-7+II&osCsid=1ce3a7cb7fccffafb1a345b58560504a

http://www.audiophileliquidator.net/product_info.php?products_id=12158

very nice indeed. can't wait to receive mine with the rf7 II's and rs62's just shipped friday!

Me to my RFII's should be in my house by the weekend and the 64II to follow Cool

THAT'S AWESOME!!!! Let us know how they sound together and please post some pics.

Were you able to get a break off the List price for the these speakers? It looks like Audiophileliquidator.net carries the RF-7 II's for $2293.20/pair and the RC-64 II for $917. Looks like shipping would be ~$450 and $101 respectively. I've never actually used this web store (not sure if authorized reseller, though they seem to have the newest klispch stuff pretty quick!) but have used the prices listed to bargain with a local retailer.

http://www.audiophileliquidator.net/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=klipsch+rf-7+II&osCsid=1ce3a7cb7fccffafb1a345b58560504a

Yes I was, from my local shop was 2500 delivered to my door even though there local theres no way they'd fit in the back of my GTI. I dont mind paying a little more within reason to support my local HT shop and they've treated me good everytime i've gone in there and spent a lot of time with me and no pressure and very helpful .. BTW Audiophileliquidators i've heard a lot of bad things about them and some good but I dont feel comfortable with them I sense danger.

That's one sexy center channel; I wish that Klipsch had done something similar for the older models - my Academy center is pretty sweet with my Fortes, but I sometimes would like a "bigger" sound from it, and my brain tells me that the four bass drivers and tractrix horn on your RC-64's are capable of much greater output than the traditional 2-woofer solution...

The Bass delivery on the new center is really good and tight, all four woofers driving frequencies up to the tweeter crossover point. In fact, I've been toying with the idea to buy speaker stands and buy two more of these to use as fronts vs getting two RF-7 II's! My sealed velodyne handles all the low-end below 60hz and so I wouldn't really need the two 10" wooofers on the RF-7 II to push the low end. The center has the same compression driver as the RF-7, except the horn housing is smaller and is not crossed over quite as low. May also improve WAF for me with such a small, sleek presence up front, yet high output, and especially given the slim RF-63's are no longer produced.

Yes I was, from my local shop was 2500 delivered to my door even though there local theres no way they'd fit in the back of my GTI. I dont mind paying a little more within reason to support my local HT shop and they've treated me good everytime i've gone in there and spent a lot of time with me and no pressure and very helpful .. BTW Audiophileliquidators i've heard a lot of bad things about them and some good but I dont feel comfortable with them I sense danger.
Good deal! Yes, I would agree on the Audiophileliquidator.com. As I mention, I have never actually ordered from their as I want to make sure I get the full warranty from Klipsch. I just use their prices as a reference point when bargaining locally.