KLF-20 placement

dddpsd

I am new to these wonderful speakers. My beloved Daniel Queen CA-2's did not survive re-foaming. After a year of kinda OK front ported speakers, my KLF-20s are my first rear ported. The bass is weak. I have checked my wiring twice. My old electronics is a Denon DRA 1035R. My vinyl is OK as the gain can be turned up past next to zero (Oracle 1st generation with a new Grado Silver.) CDs are the problem. I can just barely turn the volume knob without being way too loud. So, as the speakers have to be in front of a bookcase, is there a best distance from an irregular "wall" to the rear ports? The lower part of the back "wall" is about 10 inches closer to the cabinets than the middle and upper section. I am trying to find the most bass. I can't get closer than 3 feet to the corners. Thanks. Dennis

Ddpsd,

Welcome to the forum.

My old electronics is a Denon DRA 1035R

If your DRA-1035R receiver is functioning properly, it most likely is not the issue. I have a Denon PMA-1080R integrated amp(early 90's also) that the bass is unbelievable with my Forte's and RF-63's(rear ported).

CDs are the problem.

Maybe something wrong with the CD imputs on the Denon(capacitors, transisters).

How close are the ports to a rear wall or your bookshelf?

Bill

One rule of thumb I've read on here is to add the total diameter of any rear port(s) and/or passive radiator(s) and start with that distance from the rear wall. So, if you have two 4" ports start around from 8" from the rear wall, if you have two 5" ports start around 10" from the rear wall, etc.

Thank you Wuzzzer (Mark?). After making some fair to mostly ugly stands, my 20's are about 7 inches away from the flat back wall of the bookself. I removed the shelving and they sit slightly into the unit. This opening is 12 in deep by 25 in wide and 46 wide. Much better. Then I stuck a passive Infinity sub in line. No model # on it so it's probably from a surround set. I found it at Good Will. My budget is really low. I was lucky to get these KLF-20 for a decent price. It looks like you do Theater and CDs from your INCREDIBLE list of gear. I still love Vinyl. What is really odd about these speakers compared to the mediocre Technics that I have suffered with is not only all of the music that I have not heard for years (the Queens have faded), but there is so much LESS vinyl surface noise??? With all of the defined highs and rich mids, where did the snaps and pops go? Anyway, you have been a great help.

How do I put a picture in my profile? I am new to forums and such.

Dennis

If you want to add a picture (Avatar) next to your username when you make a post, click on "Edit Profile" in the upper-right corner. Then click on "Avatar" in the middle of the screen and follow the steps to either upload a picture from your hard drive or use one from the net.

Glad you're enjoying your speakers! My best friend has a pair of KLF-30s that he stored at my house for quite a while during his divorce. I thoroughly enjoyed making sure they were well taken care of! [;)]

Any thoughts on whether adding a DAC between my basic CD player(s) and my old Denon DRA 1035R would add at all?

If your CD player is more than say eight years old or is really low end, an outboard DAC should show much improvements in detail and seperation. The Cambridge Audio DacMagic is a good budget DAC that performs much better than it's price. Here is a used one on Audiogon. No affiliation.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlconv&1289397215&/Cambridge-Audio-DAC-Magic-usb-

Bill

Thanks for the link. I just found a Rotel RCD-975 for oly $50 that I am thinking of trying first. My old CD changer works fine for the outside speakers. For the $50 I might be able to save the $300 difference. If not, I will just have one more player... Dennis

Oh, he has a NAD integrated and also a NAD amp available. Maybe I should also finally bi-amp?

After adjusting the speakers according to your advice, I pulled out the little sub and the bass is much better. It robbed too much through it's cross-over and actually back fired. Thanks again.

I missed out on the Rotel CD. My old player doesn't even have any digital outputs. Now I am trying to decide between: a) Creek CD-60, B) JVC XL-21050 c) Myryad MC-100 and last d) Rega Planet. These are all used at a shop not too far from me. All I have to go by are some old reviews.

• 3 weeks later...