porting La Scala's in The Netherlands

Daan

My original plan regarding the high school's La Scalas referenced above was to make boxes to test the mod. Assuming favorable results, to make the cuts and then make the test boxes available to the forum; sort of like the Cornwall vault. I can understand the trepidation about cutting into nice La Scalas.

As described in the other thread, I ultimately decided that cutting into very rough speakers that had been hanging from the ceiling of an Ohio bar for thirty years was much easier than making boxes, and it was reversible.

On the one hand, making a test box makes sense. On the other hand, the fact that essentially everyone who has properly performed the mod likes it and would not go back, makes the time and expense of making "test" boxes seem unnecessary.

I know what you mean Bruce, making the box and just putting the LS on top would have been MUCH easier and I recommend it to anyone who wants to try the mod..... But...My wife has never complained about me dragging huge stereo-related objects into the room...until she saw the drawings for the plint.

Putting those boxes under the LS's was just a NO-GO..... Since we don't have a huge livingroom and the LS's already dominate it; he box would have added 10 inch to the height which would just have made them, well ....JUST TO BIG.

So I agree with you and recommend making that box to everybody who wants it the easy way, has a room big enough, or is single.

Thanks everybody for your comments.

Nico

Very clean install, I love the look of your flared ports I'm using just PVC atm but I might eventually switch them out, I haven't notice any real weirdness in mine either and they are cut to 4"x7.25", My box is ported to the front as I only use the LS bins now, but the results where definately noticable, running frequnecy sweeps I have good loud sound down to around 40hz before the drop off.

I have a pair of so so LaScalas in the garage that I bought for this purpose but decided it was to obtrusive adding a 10" high box to the bottom.

A lot of folks added the box on the bottom so they can try it inexpensively without making any cuts on their LS. It's a lot easier to just remove the box and put the bottom back on.

Bruce

It also provides the option of porting to the front, which would be a significant amount of phase improvement in the passband of the port.