JRMedia Center

Rudy81

I use JR Media Center in my HTPC to listen to my .flac music files. Up until today, I had to use an ASIO wrapper in order to send bit perfect bitstream to the pre/pro. I took another look at JRMC today and was pleased to find they have added KS (Kernel Streaming) and WASAPI as built in features.

Using the new KS built in plugin was very easy on my XP machine as was WASAPI on my Win 7 machine. Both gave me bit perfect audio and I was able to do away with unnecessary drivers like ASIO4ALL.

An added benefit is that JRMC has a much improved interface and much nicer GUI.

I have looked for a better interface for bit perfect audio and have yet to find a better solution. In case you use such software, JRMC might be worth a look.

I've been using JRiver MC for quite awhile. Have been using it on our HTPCwith XP but will soon be upgrading to Win 7. We use it with Asio on our internal Asus Audio Essence ST 5.1 card. Had previously used it with our EMU 0404-USB 2 channel DAC.

It's a very powerful program for database management of all your media. Quite a learning curve, at least for me, on using some of those features. Lately they have done a lot of improvements on their audio portion and have a bunch of adjustability for setup in a multi channel environment. It seems fairly recognized that their SQ is among the best of the players.

I have long wanted one Media program for everything - audio, video TV and Photos and have been hoping JRiver could be the one, especially because of their great SQ. Unfortunately I think that's a long ways off. We have been using it for Audio and video (ripped DVD's) and SageTV for TV including PVR functionality.

When we recently got our HD plasma TV n our HT room I was hoping to be able to use it with JRMC. Since we only have Cable here (no OTA) the Hauppauge HD PVR looked like the only device to use to record HD TV. JRMC claimed support for it, but that ended up being very minimal - not even an on screen guide that would work with it.

So we are having to stick with SageTV for the TV end. To allow use of one program as much as possible (WAF) we are now using SageTV for everything but critical 2 cannel listening. In our living room we have a Sage HD100 extender that is fed by our WHS server on the network. With a Harmony One remote and using Sage my wife can easily do everything - audio, video, tv, and even show her extensive photo collections that are picked up in Sage from our Adobe Photoshop Elements catalog on the server. We will eventually end up with a Harmony One remote in our HT room controlling the HTPC.

BTW we are feeding our HTPC straight to our power amps - no receiver or pre/pro. I'm very happy with the setup with the only downside being we can' feed external signals to the HTPC. But that should be the topic of another thread.

Thanks Rudy for starting this thread. I do think JRiver deserves a lot of credit for creating a very versatile player that has outstanding SQ. BTW Rudy I'm 'nwboater' on their Forum. Saw your post there the other day.

Rod

Tried JR, as well as Media Monkey, Winamp, Media Player, and the rest. I am currently using VLC Media player mainly because it plays all resolutions and is small. However, I've never found one that would do the simplest thing:

1. Allow me to simply select the tracks in a directory, right click, and save an M3U playlist. Even better, just be able to point at a drive and have it do that automatically for every directory with .wav files in it.

2. Use the directory structure I set up as it's menu system rather than these "libraries" that all of them seem to want to build that wind up such big messes.

Nice skins and player controls are cool, as well as good visualizations like spectrum and bars, etc, but none of those are as important to me as the basics above.

I found VLC to be free, small, simple, and works with whatever I throw at it.

Dave

I recently went from the iPhone 3G to the Droid X. Finally free of Apple's overwhelming control!!!!

The nice thing is that JRMC can see my Droid X when connected via USB and handle all my music playlists and song transfers seamlessly.

The more use JRMC 15 to listen to music, the more I like the improvements from the older versions.

I have finallyinstalled the demo and am perplexed as to how to keep the same file structure I am used to.

I have a setup on my external drive thats like...

Music/

Complete Disks/...rock...motown ect.

Comedy/

Singles/

Unsorted/

each folder has its own set of folders within it and I can't seem to figure out how to keep the same file structure I am used to.

Any help would be apreciated. I have been mucking around trying differant things, but this program seems to be a bit of a memory hog for my old P4 and trial and error takes forever.

Go to Tools > Options > File Location.

Under the Audio line, you should have a file location line, a folder rule and file name rule. You can customize them to your hearts content. You can also get help from the Support are of the JRMC site. Most questions I ever had have been asked by someone else before. Folks are generally very helpful there if you can't find how to do something.

The program takes some getting used to since it is so flexible and configurable....of course, that means a complicated 'settings' menu.

Good luck.

Oh, I know. I'll be glad to help. I recall all the settings were a little intimidating at first, but once I got the hang of it and set it up correctly I never had to mess with it again. I have tried various media centers, and for my needs, this is the best I have found. I use dbPowerAmp as my CD ripper.

Way back when I started moving all my music to a music server there were not many rippers that would work easily for .flac rips. At the time dbPoweramp was one of the better known ones. It is also really easy to use to convert files from one type to another. In all honesty I have never looked at or used the JRMC ripper. Perhaps I should!

It's real easy to use. And so are the converters. I just like using one program for as much as I can as log as it does the right stuff.

Regardles of how you do it isn't it great to have it on the computer? We have all our music, photos, movies and recorded TV on our Windows Home Server.

Rod