CD Changer Recommendations Under $100?

tidmack

I did a search of some changer recommendations and came up with two players often mentioned:

The Denon DCM-370 and a Sony DVP NC685V

I don't mind purchasing either one of these, but wanted to see if anyone else had a 5 or 6 disc changer that flew under the radar.

It's a bonus that the Sony is also a DVD player, but it's not a requirement for this application.

If anyone has had issues with either of the two players mentioned, please let me know too. Thanks for the help.

Jeff

I would recommend a music server rather than a CD changer. I am sure either one will be fine, but for a long term solution have a music server that can store music in a lossless format (WAV/FLAC or Apple formats) that can connect to your home network is soo much nicer. You can build one with a PC, Ipod or say an Olive music server. I would favor the Denon if you where going to use to also function as the D/A, if you're gonna run it digitally into your reciever then the difference is negliable buy the less expensive one, Unless you need a DVD player, then buy the Sony. Cheers.

I would recommend a music server rather than a CD changer. I am sure either one will be fine, but for a long term solution have a music server that can store music in a lossless format (WAV/FLAC or Apple formats) that can connect to your home network is soo much nicer. You can build one with a PC, Ipod or say an Olive music server.

Ditto. Used to use a Sony Es series 200 disc changer but finally made the move to a music server (an old Dell I rehabbed). I now have over 10,000 tracks of music on it and hardly ever use my CD player except to listen to something I don't know to see if i want to rip it to the hard drive.

Okay, here we go...thanks for the input guys. I'll do a little research on music servers and what they entail, so I can converse a little more intelligently. My 6 year old desktop isn't quite as realiable as it used to be, so maybe a laptop could be purchased and used in this case? I use all 70s Mac gear, so as long as I can convert from standard RCA jacks to some other plug, I can go with the new technology. Right now, I have about 75% of my CD collection on my desktop, but it's not lossless. I think everything's ripped at 350 (?) kbps. Would I have to re-rip 2,000+ discs?! Ouch...

If there's a website or thread that you'd consider recommended reading on this topic, please feel free to share. In the meantime, I'll try to look around after dinner.

Jeff

Jeff, i feel your pain. just recently ripped approx 1k cd's with winamp using FLAC. What a pain. I'm using a very low budget solution to get said ripped tunes to my 2 channel system, a Logitech Duet. Take a look at that. The dac inthe duet is acceptable for background listening but i'm planning on adding an outboard dac (if santa concurs).

Agree with JB tho that the server solution is superior to the changer solution. Good luck!

If there's a website or thread that you'd consider recommended reading on this topic, please feel free to share. In the meantime, I'll try to look around after dinner.

Jeff

Here is a link to my experience building a music server. I still continue to be very pleased with the result. [:D] http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/121146/1221187.aspx#1221187

Jeff

Here are some good places to get info on computer audio

http://www.computeraudiophile.com

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/list/46

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=35

for some reason the canuck link just links to here - so you have to copy paste it if you want to go there

I did a search of some changer recommendations and came up with two players often mentioned:

The Denon DCM-370 and a Sony DVP NC685V

I don't mind purchasing either one of these, but wanted to see if anyone else had a 5 or 6 disc changer that flew under the radar.

It's a bonus that the Sony is also a DVD player, but it's not a requirement for this application.

If anyone has had issues with either of the two players mentioned, please let me know too. Thanks for the help.

Jeff

If are still looking into the CD changer route, I have a Denon DCM-390 (the step up from the one you are looking at). I actually like it quite a bit personall. I find it sounds quite good for me. However, my music server is another story (an Elan Via!DJ, which was originally a $3,800 piece of eqiupment).