Power Source Caps and adding Bypass Caps Question(s)...

pocket.change

What do you have room for?

I would use at least 22µF/160V, and maybe a small (less than 1µF) Dayton film-and-foil type (which may need a small resistor in series, 1R or so).

I seldom disagree with DJK, but I would not try the small cap (less than 1 uF) unless you have a scope that you can double check to see if it creates any oscillation. Definitely bypass with the 22 uF (or larger) cap. It is simple and reversible, in case you don't like the effect.

"I seldom disagree with DJK, but I would not try the small cap (less
than 1 uF) unless you have a scope that you can double check to see
if it creates any oscillation."

I agree, and that's why I had them add a 1R resistor in series with the smaller cap.

The grounds for the bypass caps must be from the same point the speaker current is drawn from. This is not always practical as it can add inductance from the additional lead lengths. Personally, I do not use the smaller cap, just the 22µF/160V, right on top of the main filter caps.

2.2uf 250V seems to be the preferred value for this situation. I mention this in lieu of suggestion's from sources better at dealing with these particular recievers over an extended period of time.

Size, design criterial and allowable space are the main limitation.

My inquiry hinged with design of the cap..which is a better design (axial or radial)?

Most of the caps in the audio path used in XOs are typically axial. Since this bypass cap is being used as a power source bypass and not in the audio path, is it a concern which dersign to use if there is an option and if so, why, (or) is it simplier to just use whatever will fit at the desired value?

My inquiry hinged with design of the cap..which is a better design (axial or radial)?

Most of the caps in the audio path used in XOs are typically axial. Since this bypass cap is being used as a power source bypass and not in the audio path, is it a concern which dersign to use if there is an option and if so, why, (or) is it simplier to just use whatever will fit at the desired value?

There is no difference in performance between axial and radial designs.