Harman Kardon HK430 on its last leg, what next?

justin_tx_16

So my lovely HK 430 is on its way out. It has served me well over the last seven or eight years. I remember the day I got it and the days shortly after on the phone with HDBRbuilder fixing all the blown fuses and replacing some of the wiring.

When all was said and done, the sound that came out of these Heresy speakers was just beautiful!

Seems like yesterday.

Well, actually, yesterday was when the buzzing started and a few months ago the popping started.

I know I could probably go through and replace this or get that repaired at a stereo shop, but I'm kind of trying to use this as an excuse to move on to greener (higher tech) pastures.

Right now I'm running audio from an Apple TV, HD-DVD player (yeah... big mistake, I know) and OTA television from the audio out on the TV to the Tape input on the HK430. It works just fine really but the lack of a remote control really sucks.

So, where do I go from here? Can I get this good of sound, sans pops and buzzes, from a newer receiver? I've been so pleased with my HK430 that I haven't been keeping up on the ins and outs of what's new. I went on eBay to look at another HK430 or HK730 but the price seems to be close enough ($150) to buying a new receiver (thinking around $200-300) that I'd look into something new. Something that can handle HDMI switching and gives me the wonders of a remote control.

Would love some thoughts/suggestions!

I'm currently looking at these two guys,

Pioneer VSX-820-K 5.1

Onkyo TX-SR308 5.1

Right now I'm just working with Heresys but I'm thinking/hoping to pick up a set of Reference speakers. Moving to San Francisco means very little space for speakers. While I'll NEVER give up my Heresys or dream of some Cornwalls/Klipschorns, I might have to put the dream of a Heritage 5.1 system on hold. I figure I could get two Reference floorstanding speakers and eventually branch out from there to a decent 5.1 system. Just gotta find the money!

Oh, and also... Graduated from the University of Missouri in May, had a gallery show here in Columbia Missouri and then later in Chicago, IL. Just got one of my photos in the New York Times! Working as a digital strategist for a marketing agency here and about to pack my bags to move back to San Francisco. Clearly I need to check in here more often! I miss you guys! Seem to keep myself too busy with work, traveling and preparing to move back to Ca.

Hope all is well with you guys and thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks for the suggestion, I thought about continuing my two channel ways but I'm very much hoping to expand into more home theater, 5.1 audio.

That is a beautiful 2 channel receiver, however, if I do stick with two channel, I still need a receiver with HDMI input since all my video and audio will hopefully go directly from the digital source to the receiver.

Once I get to San Francisco I'll have my AppleTV, DVD player and HD cable box connected to the receiver.

I went through HK's site for some other receivers but it seems even their entry level receiver is $500, which is about twice my ideal price (which is admittedly low). I see Amazon sells it for $375.60 which isn't TOO bad but would prefer to hang under $300 if possible.

I suppose I could stick with two channel, I just hate to think I'd be spending a few hundred dollars on a receiver that couldn't grow with me once I moved to 5.1 :-\

Thanks again for your thoughts and suggestion!

Great looking receiver but a bit of an overkill for me and outside of my budget unfortunately. We're moving from Columbia Missouri to San Francisco California so space is a big issue. It might be years before I can move beyond the 2.1 setup I have now with the Heresys and while I am ready to prepare for the future (5.1) I highly doubt I'll have a 7.1 system anytime soon! Doesn't mean I don't want one haha.

So I guess we're back to square one, any 5.1 receiver with HDMI that will sound great with a pair of Heresys under $300?

Thanks!

Hey, kid-o! You moving to the city, or somewhere outlying? Look me up!!

Yes! Moving back to norcal, very excited!

We have an apartment in the city in Castro - Upper Market St. Nice, two story, two bedroom two bath with a sweet view...

5064210674_877a84f4be_b_d.jpg

I also still have my little house in Forestville, just about 30ish minutes north of you. Still a disaster of a construction zone, our contractor turned out to be a crook who also turned out to be a squatter. Currently trying to get him out of the house so we can FINALLY get it finished up and we can actually enjoy it!

I'll have to give you a call when I get moved, hopefully within the next month or so, before the winter hits too hard out here. Driving a UHaul through ice and snow is not my idea of a fun trip!

Still gotta find a solution for this receiver :-P

That Safeway sign gave it away! Then with the Walgreens in the foreground, it just took a little looking at Google Maps. Don't worry: I am not stalking you! [;)] I just like figuring out where pictures were taken...

Years ago I went to a film program at the Art Institute, and a shot out of a window looked exactly like the view from my brother's place in the Richmond. After the show, I asked the artist (Warren Sonbert, I think), and yes, he had lived in that exact flat!

Dude, what's SPAMPatrol?

I have a HK430 (it's at Doc's) that we were going to clean up at one point. It had slight noise that we thought could be cleaned up with new power supply caps. How much work did you do to yours before it started looking economically ridiculous?

Michael

You can get a nice receiver for a few hundred nowadays. Everyone wants HDMI so there are some really nice ones out there for cheap that are not HDMI.

Look at Denon. I had an AVR5800 about 8 years ago and it worked very well with Klipsch. I remember everyone here saying how harsh SS was and I just coudl not hear it. Well it was because it was an outstanding receiver.

Here is a good example, a $1200 received for $250 that should last 20 more years:

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?miscrcvr&1294240840&/Denon-AVR-3805-

There are usually a few nice ones in the garage sale section.

Good luck with your quest.

Dude, what's SPAMPatrol?

I have a HK430 (it's at Doc's) that we were going to clean up at one point. It had slight noise that we thought could be cleaned up with new power supply caps. How much work did you do to yours before it started looking economically ridiculous?

Michael

SPAMPatrol is the league of extraordinary (procrastinating instead of working) forum members who seek out evil spammers and delete their posts.

:D

Meanwhile, I replaced several fuses outside, inside and under the HK430, replaced the power cable and the lights on the front (which are mostly out again...). Nothing really crazy.

The buzzing and popping is one thing, the having to switch sources manually, get up to turn down or turn up the volume is another. I often have a handful of people over for movies and getting up and standing in front of the screen to adjust volume isn't the best way to host a movie night.

I love the HK430 and if I only listened to music and it didn't buzz/pop (the pops make me super nervous) I'd be fine with this. But it has gotten to the point that it's annoying enough (and scary enough) that I'm willing to toss a few hundred dollars to fix it (ie replace it).

I just worry that a new amp won't have the warm sound I love from this HK430. I've had it since my senior year of high school and it has treated me well. Even after my lady roommates decided to hook it up to some other speakers and ended up wiring the left channel to the right channel... That didn't end well.

Thanks again :D