Advice on upgrading from a pair of SB-2s

tupelo22

Hey folks, wondering if I might be able to get some advice about upgrades to my very, very modest system. Here's what I have currently:

Harmon Kardon 3485 Stereo Receiver

Technics SL-BD20

Sony 5-disc changer

Klipsch SB-2

In the next couple weeks, I'll be replacing my turntable with a Music Hall Audio MMF 2.2, so I'm really excited about that. I'm worried, though, that my speakers are what really need upgrading. I wouldn't have a lot more money to put in -- a maximum of $700, probably. If I were to go with something like the RB-51 II, RB-61 II, or even the F-10, will there be a noticeable difference between them and the old SB-2s?

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Hey Tupelo22, Welcome to the Klipsch Forums, we're glad you're here!

Nice choice on the turntable, I've heard good things about the 2.2!

With that budget, you can probably find something on your local Craigslist. You really can't go wrong with the Heritage series speakers. Why don't you see what on Craigslist and if you have any questions, just ask. We don't believe there is such a thing as "stupid questions", just stupid people who don't ask questions! [;)]

Dennie

Tupelo22,

Welcome to the forum. $700.00 is plenty of $$$ to get a nice pair of bookshelf speakers or towers for that matter. Where is your location? Would you consider the used market? Are you dead set on bookshelves?

If you are located in Mississippi, take a look at these.

http://jackson.craigslist.org/ele/2016093018.html

They look like Forte II's or Quartets. Either pair will definitely be an upgrade.

Bill

Hey, thanks a ton for the responses.

For reasons I'm willing to admit are probably pretty stupid, I don't think I'm interested in the used market. I'm not an expert with this stuff, and the thought of throwing a bunch of money at something I wouldn't know how to fix if it were to break makes me really nervous.

Unfortunately, I am set on bookshelves -- I just don't have the space for towers at this point. If I were to go for something as affordable as the RB-51, am we talking about a considerably better speaker than the SB-2? I know at a certain point I'll just have to get out there and hear 'em for myself, but I guess I'm just looking for an idea what I'm getting into.

For reasons I'm willing to admit are probably pretty stupid, I don't think I'm interested in the used market. I'm not an expert with this stuff, and the thought of throwing a bunch of money at something I wouldn't know how to fix if it were to break makes me really nervous.

Unfortunately, I am set on bookshelves -- I just don't have the space for towers at this point.

For your budget, I think the RB-61's will fit the bill. Here is a pair that is a customer return open box from Vann's. Great online merchant with full mfr's warranty. Super price.

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/clearance/542449368/klipsch-rb61-black-pair

Bill

Welcome Tupelo, I recently bought a pair of RB-61's for a friend of mine on the auction site from an authorized Klipsch dealer for $300, plus $33 in shipping. He was very happy with the sound and they were in mint condition. These were new in the box, last years model. Klipsch has come out with the RB-61 II, to replace them but there are still some bargains around. Should be a nice step up from your current Synergy speaker.