JVC DVD Players

I currently have an old KLH 5 disc DVD player and I'm drooling over new ones by JVC. A buddy of mine has a 7 disc JVC XV-FA95 (gold) and seems to be pretty happy with it. I've been looking at the JVC XV-FA95(gold) & XV-FA90(black) both 7 disc players and also the JVC XVSA75GD(gold) & XVSA70B(black) both 1 disc players. I can't seem to make up my mind if I want to go with the single or multiple disc player as one of these days (don't know how far in the future) I hope to add a CD recorder with a 3 disc tray to my set-up. Listening to CDs is when I really need something with more than single disc capacity. All these players have progressive scan (good for future TV upgrade) and DVD-Audio. I have several DVD-A discs and love them. Can't wait to hear them on a player with DVD-A.

Has anyone on the forum had any experience with any of these JVC models? If so what is your opinion and pros & cons of these players. Thanks in advance for any info.

------------------

Lew

Not Too Old To Rock 'N' Roll

I have the JVC FA-90. I bought it new on Ebay last month for $280, not a bad price, and with shipping it was $300.

I wanted progressive scan and a changer. 7 DVD's and DVD Audio was a bonus.

I like the picture. No problems with the player yet. DVD-A is kind of cool, the player came with 2 demo discs. I have not bought any new ones yet, but I am thinking of getting Hotel California soon.

Anyway, for the $$$$, they are pretty good machines, until something better comes out.

Mike

Jobman - I have the Hotel California DVD-A. Get it. You won't be disappointed. Also recommend ELP's Brain Salad Surgery & Deep Purple's Machine Head. That last one will give the subwoofer a good workout. Thanks for the info on the FA-90. Does the changer operate OK? Heard on other sites it may be slow & noisy. Thanks again.

------------------

Lew

Thanks for the info on Hotel CA. I'll look for it this week.

Yea, the changer is a little slow, and due to the way it operates, it is a little noise, but mine is behind the glass in a cabinet, so I really don't hear it. THe drawer is slow to open and close, but it don't really think that is a negative. (IT is faster than my sony 300 cd changer)

Mike

Jobman, I'm not too concerned about the speed & noise of the player as long as it functions ok. Wait til you hear Hotel CA. The guitars just sing. You'll think you're in the same room with Felder & Walsh. One of the songs has some strings on it - The Last Resort? The strings sound really good on DVD-A also. The drums have good punch to them too. Vocals. Hell, I got so caught up in the instruments, I forgot there were vocals.

------------------

Lew

lovedrummin---I have the FA-90BK and love it for the progressive scan, 7 disc capacity and DVD-A...I paid $340 brand new, shipped to my door from onecall.com in 12/01.

Changer is slightly noisy and slow due to design but functionally works great. My biggest complaint about this machine is that it does not have the compass cursor on the face of the player only on the remote so if you are standing at the machine you have to use the remote to move up/down/side to side on the DVD menu screens!

Not very well thought out, but probably for space reasons (7 disc capability vs cursor) so not a big deal overall and I would definitely recommend this player based on quality and performance and DVD-audio is a great plus!

------------------

My system(s):

KLF-30's Bi-wired

KLF-C7 (2)

KSP-S6's (2 Pair)

KSW-15 Front Sub

KSW-100 Rear Sub

Chorus II's

Monster cable 14 gauge in-wall cable

Audioquest interconnects

Niles SPS-4 speaker switch box

Niles wall plates