Khorn placement

tk49

I have built a couple of Helmholtz resonators (tubes filled with foam one taller than the other) and stuck smack bang in the middle of my speakers (12' wall) out about 7' from the rear wall that the speakers sit snug into.

Helmholz resonators typically have a fairly sharp "Q" or resonance band. How did you arrive at the length/damping of the tubes? Was it by ear, calculation via room dimensions, measurement, or by other means?

Chris[Y]

Hi

I saw what I guy did...can't remember what website...then I saw an organisation selling them for the 'audiophile' with an audiophile price!. They look like pipe organs or rather they are poly pipes about 4" in diam and anout 8' tall and another 6' tall. How I got to these lengths was by trial an error with my ears...no math! I'll see if I can get a pic happening

Cheers

Hi

I saw what I guy did...can't remember what website...then I saw an organisation selling them for the 'audiophile' with an audiophile price!. They look like pipe organs or rather they are poly pipes about 4" in diam and anout 8' tall and another 6' tall. How I got to these lengths was by trial an error with my ears...no math! I'll see if I can get a pic happening

Cheers

That would be great ! I am not familiar with them and would like to see what they look like.

Yep that's them!! Go to your local hardware store get some poly pipe, fill to desire with tontine (pillow filling) or glass wool. Need to have them slightly off the ground with both ends open...size will determine what absorption you are trying for. They do work and it's fun (sad life I lead) playing with lengths. Ensure one part of the poly pipe has the larger resectacle (at one end) to take a 'join': so one part does the joining job and has a fixed size and the other part is the variable length you can cut.

I think the other thing that these pipes do is help with reflections.

Cheers