Something interesting I found in MY garage

Kilowatter

No. it's not a Marantz amp.cwm1.gif

Yesterday, I was going through one of the drawers on the 10" radial arm saw I inherited from my grandad last fall and in the drawer where he had kept his picture frame hammers, nails, etc. I found torn card w/ 3 small envelopes stapled to it that read: "Goldentone Sololist" and "Guardian of your records". I was trying to figure out what they where when it dawned on me that they were old phonograph needles.. on the back of the packages they read: "Plays 3 to 5 records with high fidelity" and "50 needles 10 cents"

I know they are old, but was wondering if any RKIs here knew approximately how old and if they have any collectors value? Thanks

------------------

Denon AVR-3802

Denon DCD-1520

Sanyo DS31590 31" TV

Panasonic A120U DVD

Sony SLV-N71 Hi-Fi VCR

RCA Satellite System

Klipsch Tangent 5000 mains

Klipsch Tangent 1000 rears

Klipsch Tangent Center Theater

well you know what that means... a marantz is just around the corner Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

A Fun Fact to Know and Tell...

In the old days, there was no set standard for the shape of the groove in records (there was no set speed, either, but that's another story.) Each manufacturer used his own. To insure the needle - usually from a cactus - would make good contact with the groove no matter what the cross section, the record manufacturers would put abrasives in the first few run in grooves to sand the needle into the proper shape. The down side was you had to replace the needle after every play or risk damaging the record. Steel needles would last a little longer - that's why the Goldentone people were so proud about getting "3 to 5 plays" out of each one.

Old time audiophiles (yes, there were some) generally felt the cactus needles sounded better. Some things never change.

Needles were made by the millions. You probably shouldn't plan on using your find as the down payment on a new pair of Jubilees...

Capt'n Bobcwm15.gif