84' Cornwalls sound a bit flat

Mighty Favog

I just picked up a pair of 84' Cornwall I's and what little I played them at home this evening I'm finding them to be a bit flat in the highs, unfocused in the midrange and I had to boost the EQ about 6-8db for the bass to start sounding authoritative.

Internals consist of:

Networks = B3

Tweeters = K-77

Midrange = K-57-K

Woofer = K-33-E

So I'm comparing these to my KLF-20's that has Bob Crites' crossovers and tweeter diaphragms and internally wires with Monster 12ga.

Doing a full Cornscala II conversion is very much on the table at this point. I would just love to know if I can just go and swap out the tweeters (CT125), woofers (CW1526C) and his Cornwall I crossovers alone without and just take a chance the crossovers are just worn out. But will there still be the need to also put in Selenium D-405 midrange and M2380 horn (needing to cut out the motorboard which I'm terrified I'll screw up)?

I'm sure you've checked the polarity on the cabs and each driver and made sure everything is working and properly hooked up. Look for corrosion on the wires - especially around solder joints and if necessary, clean them. Seems the next step would be to replace/upgrade the +25 year old capacitors as they are the most likely culprit if things sound flat. If you're handy with a soldering iron, its a quick and fairly cheap project. If you're still not satisfied, then by all means have at the conversion - if you screw up the motherboard you can always make another one. Its not like you're gonna increase or decrease the value of the speaks (beyond the cost of the parts) and it can be a great weekend project. Have fun

I'm all for ordering a pair of Bob's crossovers but my problem is that he sells two different ones to replace a standard B-3 and one for the Cornscala.

I'm getting a bit more confident about cutting out the motorboard for the larger horn. This is also under the assumption that the size of the cutout would be the same size weather the horn is mounted from the front or from inside the cab like the original one that's in there now. THEN there's a bigger problem, the cut out on the grill is only large enough for for the current horn and not big enough for the M2380. Budman, here on the forums, told me he can make me a pair and lives close to me. But so far, I haven't heard back from him. Maybe I should put up a "ping" post for him.

I also plan on replacing the terminal strip with a 4-post bi-wire/bi-amp terminal cup mounted much lower on the cabinet to keep my options open for later.

Russ, I'll get back to you by e-mail in a bit. I need to find/figure out some things.

For everyone....

I did an SPL test with the cain grills on and it only came out to be 81db/1 watt/1 meter when I know it should be closer to 101db. Could this be another sign the crossovers have had it?? Could the grills be blocking THAT much sound?

O.K. This mornng I just ordered new drivers from Bob. Cast woofers, CT125 tweeters, B3 crossovers, new/improved diaphragms for the K-57-K's and grill fabric so Budman and I can get a new set of grills together. I don't care what my wife says, I'm keeping the cain grills anyway.

Should have them here in about a week and then it's playtime for a night putting it all in.