Forte vs. Forte II: How much different do they sound?

andyo5

I was getting ready to make a trip to buy a pair of Forte IIs, when I noticed that the seller's photo showed a speaker with the smaller passive radiator (not the 15" one). So it must be a Forte, not a Forte II.

How much different do these sound from the Forte IIs? I imagine there is less bass response, right?

What do you think is a fair price for a pair in close to excellent condition, in clear oak, with no boxes or paperwork?

Thanks!

Andyo5,

I think the sound difference in only marginal. Where the Forte II may get the edge is in off-axis listening where the tractrix mid horn is more forgiving. Placement and dialing in may be a little tougher with the Forte. With both pairs set up properly, I think they sound equally fantastic. Get the Crites titanium diaphragms and those highs will really extend.

I imagine there is less bass response, right?

Not really. Both will pound just fine.

What do you think is a fair price for a pair in close to excellent condition, in clear oak, with no boxes or paperwork?

I think $300.00 to $450.00 based on condition is the norm.

Maybe Wuzzzer will respond with his experience with both.

Bill