Testing an AL-3 crossover

Max2

Thanks fritz. Is this something I can do with a basic meter? How do I measure uh?

not at all. you need a capcitance tester for the caps. an inductance meter to test the inductors. the caps, depending on a lot of varying factors, can degrade. the indcutors, if over loaded, could also be out of spec (shorts due to burned off insulating varnish). my advice, is if they sound ok, leave them as is.

If you want to test component values I can suggest this model of Wavetek

http://www.tequipment.net/Wavetek27XT.html

But:

1) There will be a learning curve.

2) OTOH, purists say that you have to test the component at certain frequencies. Also, the meter will not tell you about how much resistance is included in the L or C (ESR or equivalent series resistance for caps as mentioned) which is realated to the quality of the component. For that you need even more sophisticated meters, which are not cheap.

3) Assuming you can get good data on the components, you still don't know the values assumed by the designer or what the values were when new.

4) Even with the above, you don't know how much whatever variations you find are actually affecting the level sent to the speaker. For that you really need some test gear which will measure voltage to the driver over varous frequencies. (In my view this is the most important.)

In view of the above, I agree with SF. Don't worry about it. These are relatively young components.

WMcD