Budget 5+ channel Amp for theater and music

Max2

Thinking about upgrading to seperates and moving my old Receiver downstairs. I think McIntosh is over my head even though I always thought I would have a Mac setup being this far along in life :) I am wondering what everyones opinion of the best multi channel receiver + controller is for the money. Looking for 100+ watts per channel and a 5 channel minimum. I have been using Denon receivers for years, even when all they offered were the two channel models, but I am wanting to step up to something else for my Theater setup which I also use for 2 and 5 channel music listening. Is there a budget setup out there that will clearly "stomp" my old Denon 3803 and be worth the money? Thanks for your input

Max2mc,

First I want to point out I have a very nice budget(used $$$'s) Denon 2-channel setup that I am very pleased with. Denon makes very functional and reliable products today with many choices and prices to choose from. I have no experience with the newer stuff.

Is HDMI very important ot you? If not, there are a ton of non-HDMI high end or flagship receivers on the used market that are going for very reasonable $$$'s. Even Denon's flagship models from a few years ago are affordable. I currently have an NAD T-773 flagship receiver from 2004-2005 that is by far the most musical AVR I have ever heard. This beast weighs in at 52lbs and functions very well for HT, 2-channel and 5.1 channel music. While it does have a very potent amp section, I am using it as a pre/pro hooked up to a pair of B&K amps(2-channel and 3-channel).

If you want a very musical HDMI receiver with the potential to upgrade(preouts for seperate amp), look into a mid-priced Marantz. They are reliable, musical, and have most of the bell's and whistles you need(want) for HT. Onkyo is another very reliable receiver, while not as musical(2-channel) as Marantz, rock solid for HT and multichannel music, IMO. Not sure your budget but these are reasonabley priced to me.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MARSR6004/Marantz/SR6004-Dolby-TrueHD-PLIIz/dts-HD-MA-AV-Receiver/1.html

The following Onkyo has a very powerful amp section for a HT receiver.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXSR876BLK/Onkyo/TX-SR876-THX-Ultra2-Plus-140-watts-channel-7.1-Receiver/1.html

Bill

Thanks Bill. I have been looking at the new Onkyo Receivers and really like the screen menu's out there even though I am a Denon guy and have been for almost 25 years. From the bench tests I have seen the new Onkyo's fall really short on delivering stated power when running 5 channels or more. For instance their 5008 flagship has been noted to only get 95 watts out before clipping as the Denon 4310 is getting 131 watts out to 5 channels. Now wattage is not my sole concern, but it seems that clean power produced at higher levels would suffer greatly coming form the Onkyo. I am really trying to go the separate route and have been looking at the new Marantz 5 channel amp and processor, but dont really know if it would be worth the extra money once you get past the cool factor. I would love to go with a McIntosh setup, but that is just not going to happen.

The Denon AVR-4310CI you mentioned looks pretty sweet. My suggestion would to get one of Denon's upper tier receivers from a year or two ago and ad an outboard amp. You probably would come in cheaper that way with overall better performance.

For some reason, it does look like the Onkyo philosophy is to offer more features than better amps these days. The flagship models of just a couple of years ago(ex. Integra DTR-9.9) had all the bells and whistles and top notch amps and power supplies. Look at this bench test:

Integra DTR-9.9 A/V Receiver:
Bookmark and Share HT Labs Measures

HT Labs Measures

Five channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 158.3 watts
1% distortion at 180.5 watts

Seven channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 137.7 watts
1% distortion at 158.1 watts

Analog frequency response in Direct mode:
–0.07 dB at 10 Hz
–0.02 dB at 20 Hz
+0.06 dB at 20 kHz
–2.50 dB at 50 kHz

Analog frequency response with stereo signal processing:
–0.33 dB at 10 Hz
–0.11 dB at 20 Hz
–0.36 dB at 20 kHz
–53.03 dB at 50 kHz

Bill

post-26822-13819619994274_thumb.jpg

post-26822-13819623263238_thumb.jpg

Wow. That integra is definately a step above their top end Onkyo line. That is some serious power coming from an AVR. Any receiver manu should be proud of numbers like that. Mulling things over, I have been reading on the Outlaw, Emotiva and the latest Marantz 5 channel amps. I noticed that Outlaw seems to be pushing the new Marantz controller/processor for use with their amps via their website. The Outlaws seem to be well built and with ATI actually constucting the amps in the US is a big plus IMO. However, its hard to not give some notice to the Emotiva line with their prices being so low. Its hard to find any concrete evidence of firm preference between the Outlaw and the Emotiva...and of course the Marantz being so new. I read where the Marantz uses plastic end caps on the front face of their Amp which suprises me some and I have yet to see a full internal shot of the 5 channel Marantz Amp which I would really like to see.

Wow. That integra is definately a step above their top end Onkyo line. That is some serious power coming from an AVR. Any receiver manu should be proud of numbers like that.

Just want to point out, the Integra DTR-9.9 is the same receiver as the Onkyo TX-NR906. Bench tests should be on par with the Integra.

The Outlaws seem to be well built and with ATI actually constucting the amps in the US is a big plus IMO.

I am very interested to see what ATI really has in store for the B&K line. They have indicated that they will still manufacture the amps the way B&K has been doing so. I really hope so because I like the sound, power and build quality of B&K amps.

Bill