marantz 2230,klipsch RF3 ,lack of midbass

quadklipsh

listening to some 80s english rock n pop music and ABing between two speakers , my RF3s and the FOSTEX reference monitor speakers rm-800, i found an urge to comment that my 3s are a bit lacking in the mid bass region.......though its sound was more tonally correct to my ears but still theres this feeling of emptyness between the bass and the vocals range ....

the vocals of the rf3s are very nice,and the bass obviously much deeper (cmon, look at the size of the two ) .....

well is this lack of mid bass in my rf3s because of crossover setting or is it that these are 2 way speakers..

somehow i get more inclined and impressed by the fostees ,because of a seemless smoother transition between the highs and the lows that it offers .....

Here is possible no harm / no foul kind of thing. About a two weeks ago I was looking for something to do rather than what I should have been.

Got behind my 2230 with DeOxit and Q-tips and gave the RCA connectors a good shot / scurb.

A very significant improvement in sonics. Bass jumped out noticeably, but everything sounded better. This was running RB-75s three feet off the floor and 1.5 feet from the rear wall. The 2230 should be doing better.

Just a thought

I shoot my Marantz 3600 preamp with some deoxit quite frequently. The rca connections need it.......kinda like a tune up. After about two weeks or so it loses a little sparkle. While doing this I run the interconnects in and out a couple times and it's good to go.

I've been neglecting my 2230 lately......thanks for the reminder! [:D]

I listened to my newly acquired marantz 2245 and forte II.

I have same impression as post 1. The midbass is very weak. as well as some other frequencies. It seems the focus of good sound was briliant highs, vocals and bass. The music that remains does have a very dilectable tone. Very enjoyable amp to listen too. But it left me yearning for more balnce of sound from some of my favorite CDs. Of course with the age of these amps they may not be sounding too much like when they were new. I am temted to have mine restored. But that would ruin the bargain price I paid for it.

I am fighting the trend to have mutiple sytems. listening to this amp made me realize why so many are always changing and tweaking looking for that ultimate sound.

I listened to my newly acquired marantz 2245 and forte II.

I have same impression as post 1. The midbass is very weak. as well as some other frequencies.

I think room acoustics may be the main factor here. My Quartet's and Forte's both have very smooth and define midbass when powered by my Marantz 2252B as well as other frequencies. The room is 13 x 13 x 10 with carpet, drapes, queen bed with comforter and shams, with speakers 2 feet from corners and 12 inches from rear wall toed in 20 degrees. Very good imaging as well as a huge soundstage. Equally smooth and detailed at low or high volumes.

Remember here we are talking vintage Marantz with 2 ways and 3 ways so many variables to consider.

Just my experience.

Bill

I am fighting the trend to have mutiple sytems. listening to this amp made me realize why so many are always changing and tweaking looking for that ultimate sound.

Sorry to hijack this thread.

Multiple systems are a result of obsessively scanning and searching C-list, A-gon, E-bay, Y-sales, T-stores and finding crazy bargains that are hard to pass up. Eventually you will purge what gear you don't want to recoupe $$$ to find what you do want to keep. Before you know it you will have a system in every room(okay maybe not you but me) and some rooms with multiple systems.

Cool thing is in my case, my wife doesn't mind all the gear as long as I keep everything neat and tidy. She is amazed(so am I) at how good things sound for so little $$$ spent. With all of the buying and selling over time, all the gear I have will eventually be free. I am currently only about $1000.00 in the hole.

Bill

you bet .....!

i seriously started losing interest in music , and got into swapping this amp with those speakers and just finding out the minute differences .... it isnt the kind of fun i wanted . hence i got rid of my da -a7 diatone pre power amp and also hid my quad 303 . keeping only marantz 2230 as my main amp for music sitting and over the last few weeks im in heaven .

comparison ,at times, sucks !![:D]

my advice .... keep one system .sit with it ...listen to it ... enjoy it for months , then perhaps swap your amp and enjoy that other amp.

• 2 weeks later...