Chorus Mod Fantasy

36Hz-20kHz

Anyone got any opinions on adding a pair of RF3 - 6" copper cone speakers to the already magnificent original Klipsch Choruses?

Just wonderin" ....

My thinking, in terms of sound presentation, adding more midrange, guitar sound quality, for a front main stereo pair....

How would you / could you adapt the crossover network, or would a complete crossover redesign be required?

Modify to a four way crossover ? .... or just move the crossover out of the RF-3 cabinet into the Chorus cabinet, & wire it in, in series?

The chorus 45Hz-20kHz(+-)3dB plus the 62Hz-20kHz(+-)3dB of the RF-3 ... The power handling properties of the cross overs come into question here...

In addition to the midrange horn, position two 6" cone speakers in each Chorus cabinet.... Layout may be a little tricky....

And ... suppose you replaced the original Chorus tweeter horn with the larger RF-3 tweeter & horn... These Chorus cabinets are big... wouldn't they benefit from a bigger horn?

An original 90(o)x40(o) Exponential Horn versus a 6" square 90(o) x 60(o) Tractrix® Horn .... Hmmmm ........

However, I really don't want to modify the cabinet.... because once you do ... goodbye original value...

But a RF-3 center channel speaker on top of each Chorus looks kind of awkward, but the improved sound quality is ... Killer ...

Please consider all of this hypothetical, if you will, an exercise in " what if ?" ... If you fancy this sort of thing.....

Thanks,

John

Anyone got any opinions on adding a pair of RF3 - 6" copper cone speakers to the already magnificent original Klipsch Choruses?

Just wonderin" ....

My thinking, in terms of sound presentation, adding more midrange, guitar sound quality, for a front main stereo pair....

How would you / could you adapt the crossover network, or would a complete crossover redesign be required?

Modify to a four way crossover ? .... or just move the crossover out of the RF-3 cabinet into the Chorus cabinet, & wire it in, in series?

The chorus 45Hz-20kHz(+-)3dB plus the 62Hz-20kHz(+-)3dB of the RF-3 ... The power handling properties of the cross overs come into question here...

In addition to the midrange horn, position two 6" cone speakers in each Chorus cabinet.... Layout may be a little tricky....

And ... suppose you replaced the original Chorus tweeter horn with the larger RF-3 tweeter & horn... These Chorus cabinets are big... wouldn't they benefit from a bigger horn?

An original 90(o)x40(o) Exponential Horn versus a 6" square 90(o) x 60(o) Tractrix® Horn .... Hmmmm ........

However, I really don't want to modify the cabinet.... because once you do ... goodbye original value...

But a RF-3 center channel speaker on top of each Chorus looks kind of awkward, but the improved sound quality is ... Killer ...

Please consider all of this hypothetical, if you will, an exercise in " what if ?" ... If you fancy this sort of thing.....

Thanks,

John

The RF-3's specifications are not 62hz-20Khz. Are you talking about a center speaker? The RF-3 is a floor stander.

Building or upgrading the Chorus, any speaker for that matter, would require a lot more than what you are simply speaking of in your post. If you like the sound just put the speaker on top. There would not be room inside the Chorus to do what you want to do let alone getting it to sound good.

If you want to build a speaker, start from scratch with drivers that somewhat match, can be positioned correctly, and would make sense together. Also, start reading some books on speaker design. In the end you may be able to slam the two together but not in a Chorus enclosure and not the way you are thinking.

Yes, thank you for pointing this out. I did mean to refer to the RC-3 center channel speaker size... and I'll leave

speaker design to those of you who understand function, design and resonance and enclosure properties,

frequencies and everything else that makes speakers what they are... and function together properly...

.... I was just wondering what one might be able to do to get more midrange presence... and volume, then

again that is what graphic equalizers are for ...

Al Klapenberger is working on a crossover for a new 2 inch entry KHorn mid horn which incoroprates a coaxially mounted mid/hi compression driver. You might ask Al if this could be made to work with a Chorus. That might get you what you are looking for. Check out this link. Have some fun and good luck.

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/142399.aspx

PS: just a thought but why don't you first consider new crossovers and diaphragms (upgrades) for mid and tweeters first as that could well deliver what it is you are looking to achieve.

If you are looking at lifting the midrange some, I believe the Chorus has an auto-former that has multiple taps. You might want to look at changing the electrical connection on the auto-former to raise the output of the midrange horn. This may require a small change to the capacitor and inductor for the midrange.