PS3 audio output settings PCM Vs. Bitstream

ilovesound

Hi, I have a Pioneer VSX-1019 AHK powering my 5.1 channel system, and I use my PS3 as my BLU-RAY player. They are hooked up through hdmi. I have not been able to successfully output Dolby True HD. I have been using the PCM setting on the PS3, and my receiver shows PCM up-mix. However when I press select and look at what sound the PS3 is outputting, it says Dolby Digital. When using PCM the dialogue is very weak but everything else sounds clear. I changed the setting to bitstream today to realize that the volume and dialogue was much louder, however sounded more boomy and less smooth, and when I press select the PS3 shows that it is outputting Dolby multi channel??????. This makes no sense to me. I am not in any way a professional, however I have never dealt with this format before. I appreciate the advice.

Thanks,

Taylor

Yeah that doesn't make sense. Because if its outputting in Dolby TrueHD it shouldn't be boomy. Both of the HD sound formats sound great. Have you checked your crossover settings etc? Sub level? Have you ran the calibration on your receiver or used a calibration disc? Also what model PS3 do you have? The slim one or the fat one? If you have the fat one then it can't output in Bitstream.....even if you select bitstream it will still put out in PCM. Only the newer slim ones can output bitstream. Even if it shows its outputting in Dolby etc.

I was fiddling around with lpcm vs bitstream on the weekend. both myself and the kids though that Lpcm sounded better than bitstream. No you don't get the fancy trueHd or dolby icons on the AVR screen but with mulit in you are still getting the same 5.1 or 7.1 sound.

Perhaps the PS3 was decoding this particular movie better than my Denon AVR-791. I'll have to try some blue ray movies and see how they sound

I was fiddling around with lpcm vs bitstream on the weekend. both myself and the kids though that Lpcm sounded better than bitstream. No you don't get the fancy trueHd or dolby icons on the AVR screen but with mulit in you are still getting the same 5.1 or 7.1 sound.

Perhaps the PS3 was decoding this particular movie better than my Denon AVR-791. I'll have to try some blue ray movies and see how they sound

Thats pretty cool. I've never been able to try bitstream with my ps3 since its the fat one but pcm sounds great for the games. But whenever I play blu rays on my samsung player the bitstream sounds better. pcm sounds good but bitstream sounds clearer and I can hear more of the subtle effects! So I guess it just depends on the player. Since the receiver is built to do that kind of thing I generally let it handle the decoding and processing instead of the devices feeding the signal. The ps3 may be the exception because it has some pretty powerful hardware in it so I'm sure the decoders have to be top notch as well! But we're all going to have different experiences. We can all agree on one thing though. Its great being able to sit down and put on a blu ray and crank the sound all the way up! Whether its bitstream or pcm they both sound pretty darn good