Short circuit in the system due to 220 voltage input installing in India

sachin

I'm a big fan of Klipsch so decided to get some klipsch product back home in India. I got Promedia 2.1 wireless. I got it from the US where the voltage input is 110v and tried to plug it in India where the voltage is 220. The subwoofer has a fuse that blew so I thought thats good that I just blew the fuse which is dirt cheap but later I got it tested from a friend that has a tester.

He tested the fuse that worked fine and then checked subwoofer plug and it showed no response on his meter (I dont know what it is called). He said that there was a short circuit in the transistor.

Klipsch has no operations in India.

QUESTIONS:

What exactly could I have damaged in the subwoofer?

What could I do since India has no authorized Klipsch dealers?

Thanks! Will look forward to your reply...

sachin

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's (probably) totally fried.

The Promedia 2.1 is only available in 120V/60hz, and probably will not work properly on 220V/50hz even if the voltage is stepped down (the 50hz generally requires a different power transformer).

WARNING: This product is intended to be operated ONLY from the AC Voltages listed on the back panel or included power supply of the product. Operation from other voltages other than those indicated may cause irreversible damage to the product and void the products warranty.

Hi djk!

Thank you for your reply. In response to "It's (probably)" totally fried. What could have I fried? The resistor, transistor? (Plz Excuse my knowledge of electric units) Is the replacement cost of that too expensive? Any estimates how much could it possibly cost me? I would hate to see a beautiful klipsch product lie like here in India just like that. I might carry it back to US later in August permitting space/weight requirements by airline. I used my GMX promedia for over 3 years and it was a master piece and unbelievably nice. Thank you once again. I will look forward to hear from you.

• 1 month later...

Hi there!

Thanks for your reply. I didn't know that those were parts of an amplifier. I will have to get a 220 volt amplifier from all the information I have gathered. I was just wondering if you had an idea of how much it could or it should cost me around, an approximate price would be helpful too.

Once again, thanks for your replies!!

Most of the world runs 240/220vlt except the States and I think Japan. I suspect you have fried the power transformer and rectifiers. Klipsch might be able to supply a replacement mainbord and transformer. If that is possible you could buy a step down transformer 220vl to 120 and then plud the unit in. Could never workm out why the States went with 120vlt

Thank you for the response. Could someone enlighten me the difference between the volt amplifier, transformer and rectifier and what all does the klipsch main board have?

Also how could I figure out what could I have fried?? Have a local repair guy open the sub woofer and look into it and tell me??

Thank you all for your responses.

If you could include approximate cost, that'll be great...

"and probably will not
work properly on 220V/50hz even if the voltage is stepped down (the 50hz
generally requires a different power transformer)."

The D-K Effect

The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias
in which unskilled people make poor decisions and reach erroneous
conclusions, but their incompetence denies them the metacognitive
ability to realize their mistakes.[1] The unskilled therefore suffer
from illusory superiority, rating their own ability as above average,
much higher than it actually is, while the highly skilled underrate
their abilities, suffering from illusory inferiority. This leads to the
situation in which less competent people rate their own ability higher
than more competent people. It also explains why actual competence may
weaken self-confidence. Competent individuals falsely assume that others
have an equivalent understanding. "Thus, the miscalibration of the
incompetent stems from an error about the self, whereas the
miscalibration of the highly competent stems from an error about
others."[2]

Kruger and
Dunning proposed that, for a given skill, incompetent people will:

A)tend to
overestimate their own level of skill;

B)fail to
recognize genuine skill in others;

C)fail to
recognize the extremity of their inadequacy;

D)recognize and
acknowledge their own previous lack of skill, if they can be trained to
substantially improve.

Dunning and
Kruger were awarded the Nobel Prizes in Psychology in 2000 for their
report, "Unskilled and Unaware of It: How Difficulties in Recognizing
One's Own Incompetence Lead to Inflated Self-Assessments".[16]

I am sorry for your misfortune. Don't give up hope yet. Sometimes this mistake is not fatal to a modern circuit board. However. . . this is not a repair for an amateur. Other than general advice, no one can help you with details like this through a forum. I understand your dilemma. Shipping it to Klipsch for repair from India is not a good option and throwing it away is not acceptable. But. . . to do this repair you must be able to correctly identify, remove, and replace components that may be the size of a grain of rice and may even be SMD, You need to find an actual electronics technician with experience repairing power supplies. A technician who can repair computer power supplies may well be able to save you. I have seen this repair be as simple as replacing a couple of diodes or bridging a burnt circuit trace with bit of 24 ga. wire. If you heard no popping or sizzling sounds, saw no arcing or smoke, then it may be a minor repair. But. . . it is still a job for a technician. This same technician can tell you where to acquire the adapter you need. This adapter will NOT be a simple travel plug. It must drop the voltage to 110, and convert the frequency from 50hz to 60hz. These adapters are not very expensive and are available. It is apparent that this is a new experience to you. The learning curve is not all that great but it is challenging. Years ago I had to learn a similar lesson with European tube radio equipment I fell in love with. I hope you are successful. Welcome to the sound of Klipsch.

Oh, as far as cost? This is impossible to estimate. I have no idea what a tech in your location would charge for their time. Diodes are cheap, knowing how to identify and replace them is the tech's job. It is how he earns his bread.

Also, I do feel this is beyond your friend's capabilities. There is no way placing a VOM across the power cord can let you diagnose a bad transistor. ;-)

Jeff

Another person that can't read, or doesn't comprehend.

A transformer cannot change 50hz to 60hz.

As discussed previously, you either need a dynamotor or an AC-DC-AC inverter to do the conversion (PS Audio, Crown, others, sell an amplifier fed by a variable frequency source. does the same thing as the inverter).

As quoted from their websire:

"These heavy duty transformers are for continuous use with 110 Volt American appliances with foreign 220 volts 50Hz single phase electricity.

We currently have a JBL Creature system for my (someday to be) stepson that came from Pakistan originally (Rated 220v 50hz).....

Guess what? The transformer that steps it down to 110v works perfectly. The speakers work just fine; for 2+ years now.......

Maybe you should try using one before you immediately judge that it does not or will not work.

And for the record; I read and comprehend just fine...... [8-|]

I just disagree with your conclusion that it will not work. [bs]

300 watts max, converts 220/240 volt down to 110/120 volt, Allows to use 110/120V US appliances abroad with 220/230/240 volt, Built-in Fuse Protection, built-in grounded Euro/Asian Schuko style plug, Heavy Duty for continuous use, CE Certified, Built-in fuse protection system, two spare fuses included.
Price : US$13.99

$13.99 versus $300? Hmm....... The manufacturer clearly states it will work stepping down 220/50 hz to 110/120 to allow you to use US appliances abroad......

This website is largely dedicated to people who move to and from overseas; and wish to keep their electronic possessions......

There is something to be said for being book smart. There is also something to be said about real world experience......

At the bottom of their websire:

Note: voltage converters or transformers do not change cycles (50hz or 60hz). Our transformers do not work for two phase American 220V volt to convert to 110V.

But; it will make his Promedias functional..... which is the only point I disagree with you on.

Do not believe it?

Read the reviews from Amazon of a similar product they sell.

http://www.amazon.com/Voltage-Converter-Transformer-worldwide-included/product-reviews/B000W9T5SW/ref=cm_cr_dp_all_helpful?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

He runs a powered subwoofer with it in Iraq for Pete's sake!

A 60hz transformer run on 50hz is a fire hazard, period, exclamation point !!!

The D-K Effect

The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which unskilled people make poor decisions and reach erroneous conclusions, but their incompetence denies them the metacognitive ability to realize their mistakes.[1] The unskilled therefore suffer from illusory superiority, rating their own ability as above average, much higher than it actually is, while the highly skilled underrate their abilities, suffering from illusory inferiority. This leads to the situation in which less competent people rate their own ability higher than more competent people. It also explains why actual competence may weaken self-confidence. Competent individuals falsely assume that others have an equivalent understanding. "Thus, the miscalibration of the incompetent stems from an error about the self, whereas the miscalibration of the highly competent stems from an error about others."[2]

Kruger and Dunning proposed that, for a given skill, incompetent people will:

A)tend to overestimate their own level of skill;

B)fail to recognize genuine skill in others;

C)fail to recognize the extremity of their inadequacy;

D)recognize and acknowledge their own previous lack of skill, if they can be trained to substantially improve.

Dunning and Kruger were awarded the Nobel Prizes in Psychology in 2000 for their report, "Unskilled and Unaware of It: How Difficulties in Recognizing One's Own Incompetence Lead to Inflated Self-Assessments".[16]