Short circuit in the system due to 220 voltage input installing in India

sachin

"Life is short.... Enjoy every minute....." Ironsave

DJK's message was the same, just more informed. I would interpret it like this:

"Life is short (so don't make it shorter unneccessarily)... Enjoy every minute (with less smoke, fire, shocks, and burns)"

I have to sympathize with DJK. As a guitar player I've been in many forums where someone is asking about how to do something inside their tube amp. Often it is clear that the person is totally ignorant of the danger, and when warned that the power supply caps can kill him, he writes something scary like, "No problem, I'm not stupid; the amp will be turned off while I'm inside it." When warned that they don't seem to grasp the danger, an all too frequent follow-up response is, "Hey, why are you harshing me. Just so you won't have a cow, I'll pull the plug totally out of the wall, man. Then there can't be any danger, so not a problem."

I've seen a few of these guitar amp repair threads where it looks like some kid is really preparing to test Darwin's theory. The lengths some of the knowledgable folks go to in order to gain these folks' attention and ensure understanding of the message makes DJK's polite repetitions, social theory presentations, and final quoting of chapter and verse all look pretty mild mannered, to me.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Life is short.... Enjoy every minute....." Ironsave

DJK's message was the same, just more informed. I would interpret it like this:

"Life is short (so don't make it shorter unneccessarily)... Enjoy every minute (with less smoke, fire, shocks, and burns)"

I have to sympathize with DJK. As a guitar player I've been in many forums where someone is asking about how to do something inside their tube amp. Often it is clear that the person is totally ignorant of the danger, and when warned that the power supply caps can kill him, he writes something scary like, "No problem, I'm not stupid; the amp will be turned off while I'm inside it." When warned that they don't seem to grasp the danger, an all too frequent follow-up response is, "Hey, why are you harshing me. Just so you won't have a cow, I'll pull the plug totally out of the wall, man. Then there can't be any danger, so not a problem."

I've seen a few of these guitar amp repair threads where it looks like some kid is really preparing to test Darwin's theory. The lengths some of the knowledgable folks go to in order to gain these folks' attention and ensure understanding of the message makes DJK's polite repetitions, social theory presentations, and final quoting of chapter and verse all look pretty mild mannered, to me.

That's fine......

Still; That is not a license to insult and attempt to belittle someone.

Re read the thread.... The same point could have been made without insults; big red letters; or (weird) quoting of 1970s movies.......

Again.... I am over it.

Long live Dani and his Filthy clan......... [:D]

• 1 month later...

Hi folks!

GOOD NEWS! THE SPEAKERS ARE WORKING.......... \m/

This is the guy who originally posted the issue I was seeking help with. I want to thank you all for all the help, information and willingness to help me resolve my issue here in India with the voltage issue. I really am overwhelmed (even until you guys got in some internal technical clarifications.) I will admit that I am a dork when it comes to technical information. No wonder, I couldn't really solve this myself.

I think I'm lucky that this klipsch has a fuse at the back of the subwoofer which blew first, I did realize that but my friend who runs a shop mentioned that there is something more damaged internally. So after posting this and gathering the information from here and contacting klipsch in the US and their unofficial dealers in India, I got this checked from a local technician and he said its all good, just get a voltage converter and plug it in.

I had not gotten a voltage converter until that point because my friend mentioned there is something wrong beyond the fuse so hold on to getting the voltage converter.

Thankfully its working now and the wireless thing is so handy, I love it.

Thank you again!

Damn! You nailed it. I was going to write on here a few problems I've been having with this system ever since I've started using it. It heats like HELL. So I shut it off as much as I can. I feel the back of the subwoofer and its boiling hot. So I don't play music for too long and shut it down.

Questions that would be helpful:

What could I do about this?

Can this cause any effect on the quality of sound subwoofer.

Can this decrease the life of this klipsch unit. (start giving problems sooner than later down the line)

What could be the probable temporary solutions until I can do something about this as per what you suggest/recommend.

Thank you...

sachin

Sachin,

I agree with Preston.

This thread was a learning experience for me as well......

If it is getting that hot; at the very least, your amp's life will be shortened. (With melted internals; board and caps; etc).....

And there is a chance it could catch on fire....

I still suggest a replacement amp......

Good Luck.

sachin, that's too hot! The easiest solutions is to replace the transformer in the amp's power supply with a 220V 50Hz transformer. This is a job for a Technician. It is not complicated or difficult but requires a person who can identify the output voltages of the original and install the correct replacement. This will be a commonly available part, it does not have to be shipped from Klipsch/USA to India. Any shop that works on Stereo/TV should do this without blinking an eye. Please pursue this solution. Good luck, jeff

Yes I read the whole thing this afternoon and it definitely was very informative.

Replacing the transformer in the amp's power supply. Awesome. Great I will keep this in mind and if this can be done, that'll be great. What you suggests, sounds like the part won't be that expensive. I will definitely get this checked. So I'm guessing that the transformer in the amp's power supply won't be that expensive right?

Thanks again

Awesome. Thanks Jeff and all the other blokes in this forum. I will let you know as soon as I have this done. I previously owned Gmx Promedia 2.1. I loved that, it was awesome. This is good too but overall the quality of sound, subwoofer, the attractive sound dock, the dynamic shape of speakers. I would however vote GMX Promedia over the existing promedia primarily cause of the quality. "Both are incredibly loud. I never tuned GMX over 70% of its volume capacity and generally played it around 50% volume, capacity, however even if I pushed to 70% or tested in rare instances ( for the few seconds I could withstand the high volume) at its 80%, the sound would not distort at all. However, in these speakers, they're really loud too but anything over45-50% volume capacity, it does go loud but distorts the sound and then it sounds just like an ordinary loud speaker that one could get at wallmart. but anything below 40% volume capacity or less, it sounds really nice and good, thought a little less as nice as GMX. One thing that I could vote these over GMX would be the wireless transmitter. Links posted are my former system GMX and my current system Promedia respectively. http://images.trustedreviews.com/images/article/inline/1048-overview.jpg promedia wireless ---> http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2009/12/klipsch_promedia_21_wireless_1.jpg It is kind of surprising that the voice would start distorting beyond 50% of its volume capacity. wondering if this could be due to the voltage differences.

• 1 month later...

Hi JeffRay and other equally great contributors to my question...

So since I ws busy, I didn't yet take it to have it repaired but i was being careful and didn't ever play klipsch system over 5-10 mins. so anyway, the dude told me that he will do the rewinding/winding once he opens the sub-woofer and that should suffice.

i could have taken it to him today but i wanted to check with the community if he is on the right path. if not, maybe i should try someone else. i definitely want to be able to enjoy my system.

btw, for a number of reasons, my first choice would always be the system i left with my sister. klipsch gmx promedia. great aesthetics like a cockpit, great color, bigger subwoofer, better clartiy in terms of klipsch standard... and the sound would neva distort, no matter how loud you play. <3

so ya, i'll look forward to your response if the guy i am planning to have a look at my system on the right path by rewinding it. if you think he is not right, should i try some other repair guy or order a simple transformer from a metro city in india?

Hi!!

Once again thanks to all the members that have helped me out with the solution over the course of my problem and admit how ignorant I am with all this gadget stuff. Anyway, so once again, I didn't really get to getting the transistor changed in the amplifier as suggested by you to avoid for the subwoofer to heat up. The person I spoke to mentioned (so far without looking at it) that rewinding or winding.. not sure will suffice. I decided to stay back a day before leaving the woofer with him because if he says that its not possible or rewinding is the solution, i can't argue and say I want to take my woofer back. These guys won't admit they're wrong and for the same reason I wanted to check with you fellas. So I will look forward to hear from you, it'll be great to have this taken care off in the next few days so i can blast music for hours wihtout having to worry about the system heating up like fire... thanks again

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Forum members,

Once again, thanks a bunch. This was the first time I ever posted on internet and was overwhelmed with the responses. I want to apologize and confess that I HAD not read all the posts closely as I kept getting alerts and saw responses about clarification about a few points in response to this question.

Although I thank for your participation, I must say that DJK's advice, being most professional, experienced was the most helpful. I am sure his purpose was nothing but ensuring my safety. I am glad some forum members are doing all they can to warn the users about the possible risks. I am not sure how reliable will those forums be or have any participants like the members I've had here. Thank you all, especially DJK

About the current speaker situation, I read all the posts but before I did so I consulted the problem with a local technician and he took me to a "so called transformer expert". Apparently in my small city, Baroda in India, people don't know anything about electronics or electrical fixing. They are just manually trained and end up opening their business. I was suggested to get my transformer winded even when I clearly mentioned them the change of transformer as being the only solution. No one seemed to follow what I mentioned. Maybe they're just used to handling small products but at the end of the day if I need professional advice, metro cities can be helpful. So far, the information I have gathered is, these replacement transformers are hard to find and if I do get lucky they're cheaply made, so having a custom made is the best bet. I don't even know the venue or cost, so I guess I indeed might have a paper weight, unless I can just play the system for 10 minutes and switch it off. It doesn't seem to get that hot if I don't push up the volume. I would have totally ordered a replacement for transformer from Klipsch UK but I guess the heavy thing will be shipped for no less than half the price the system, not to mention the price of the transformer being separate.

So I am not that hopeful unless I'm willing to shell out big bucks which I certainly am not keen on.

PS: I am trying out the HTML codes after a long time, so if this comes out screwed up, I apologize.

Hi PDG,

As I mentioned, there is nothing I can do about this system. A transformer that isn't designed to run on 50Hz,

won't run. Converter is only helpful as far as getting it started but due to avoid fire hazards, it is advisable to not

play it anymore than 15 mins if you're blasting the music. It gets super hot.

So I either blast for 15 minutes or play for an hour or two at a really soft volume.

The idea of these speakers is crystal clear voice that are loud (considering its a multimedia speakers)... and the

idea that I can't play loud music more than 10 minutes is annoying.

Replacing the transformer isn't possible. Its not available in Europe either, not to mention the cost of getting it

here in India anyway...