Question about SACD

garyrc

I'm still trying to select an AV peamp processor, and ran into an issue with SACD. I realy want to be able to use EQ (when necessary), and bass management with SACD, and I'm getting the impression that that will require leaving the signal in digital until it gets into the AV preamp processor with most of them. I've had my eye on a Marantz AV 7005, but:

• The AV 7005 seems to convert the signal to 88.2 PCM ... do any preamp/processors use the direct DSD signal?
  • Would 88.2 PCM still be likely to sound better than CD?
  • Who has heard the AV 7005? Any impressions of the sound quality when using digital SACD, CD, Blu-ray?

Gary, I don't think there is much if anything to be gained by using EQ or bass management with SACD. It's not quite the same thing as say, DVD/BluRay with movies.

As far as I know the only AV amplifier/reciever's that will accept the DSD signal directly are those in multi-channel mode via HDMI such as Sony's STR-DA5400ES. (don't forget, a lot of SACD were originally recorded in 44.1 PCM).

The 88.2 PCM signal will certainly degrade the sound quality of SACD that was recorded in DSD although it should sound slightly better than regular CD. I do my live-in-concert recordings using 96KHz and there is definitely a difference in sound quality between playing the orginal 96KHz recording directly from the PC verses the final redbook CD.

For a real treat just bypass the preamp/control center and run the SACD player directly into the power amps (if the player or power amp has gain controls).

I know the newest Integra Pre/Pro's (DHC 40.2 & DHC 80.2) will accept/process a DSD signal, but I think only the 80.2 has a "direct" mode allowing you to bypass the processing. They can be configured all kinds of ways, so it might do what you want. You can go over to the AVSForum and check out this thread on the Integra DHC 80.2... It's quite long, but someone over there may already have the answer.